Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do you use to correct lens distortion?

Just curious what you all use for lens correction if you use Aperture? I've been using Aperture for about 6 months now and mostly love it and do not regret purchasing it instead of Lightroom. But the one thing that bugs me is no lens correction! I shoot with a Canon 6D and the 24-105 lens. At 24mm the lens definitely needs some distortion correction.

I downloaded a trial version of the PTLens plugin. But I thought I would ask here what others use before I go ahead and purchase the full version. Maybe there is an easier way? I would prefer to get the correction done and still be able to work on the raw file. Right now after I correct it it's no longer a raw image. But maybe that is the way no matter how I correct it?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. I just hate how Lightroom users in other forums can say Oh it's just a click of one button and the distortion is gone! I do hope Apple includes this, seemingly glaring oversight, in a later addition of Aperture.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 6:53 AM

10 replies

Aug 8, 2013 8:08 AM in response to sdmcgowan

I have used the following products in conjunction with Aperture 2 and 3:

PT Lens plug-in

DxO Optics Pro 6, 7 and 8

Adobe Camera RAW

Photoshop CS4, CS5 and CS6

In all cases, the non-destructive workflow is broken by the fact that you need either a rendered file from Aperture to be sent to the distortion correction, or you correct distortion and then import a non-RAW file into Aperture. No matter what we choose, the real solution needs to come from Apple for maintaining non-destructive workflow.

I have liked DxO Optics Pro for kit lenses (in my case a Nikon D80 with Nikkor 18-135mm lens) since the D80 doesn't remove CA automatically and that lens has CA and lens distortion / vignette issues. However, all versions only save out as TIFF, JPEG or DNG (the latter of which I have no interest in). I was using JPEG output and doing minimal enhancement in Aperture which kept my memorie intact with nice renditions.

I now have inherited a Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens and only use PT Lens plug-in or send to PS CS6 and use the lens correction filter on shots that really need it. I am not seeing IQ with corrected images through DxO 8.3 that are better than results I can get using Aperture and PT Lens or PS CS6 - so I don't use it anymore.

Another hoping Apple will include at least manual lens distortion function with preset creation ability in next version of Aperture. 😉

Aug 8, 2013 12:19 PM in response to CorkyO2

Corky02 ..."Another hoping Apple will include at least manual lens distortion function with preset creation ability in next version of Aperture. 😉"

I don't see much activity coming from Aperture. I am an Aperture user since it was introduced. Love it!

But I feel we are loosing out to LightRoom. All my friends have or are talking about jumping ship from.

Let's hope my friends made the wrong mistake...

Aug 8, 2013 1:03 PM in response to sdmcgowan

Hi,

In exactly the same situation as you; just posted a similar question this evening on dpreview. I, too, was directed to PTLens. However, I cannot find the folder in which to install the plug-in within Aperture. The PTLens Read Me says to go to /Library/Applications/Application Support/Plug-Ins, and create this folder if it doesn't exist. No such folder exists; in fact, there are no Aperture folders beyond the application itself in the Applications folder. Can you tell me how you installed the plug-in?

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2013 1:16 PM in response to Keith Wilson

The PTLens Read Me says to go to /Library/Applications/Application Support/Plug-Ins, and create this folder if it doesn't exist.

Not "/Library/Applications/Application Support/Plug-Ins", but /Library/Application Support/Aperure/Plug-Ins

Open the folder "Library" directly on your Macintosh HD, then "Application Support", then "Aperture", then "plug-Ins".

Aug 8, 2013 2:06 PM in response to Keith Wilson

Keith,

If you are running OS X 10.8.x and have an issue with your license not taking correctly (still seeing the 10 images limit warning), you might place it in your user account library folder (~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins) as follows:

1 - Use the 'Go' menu while pressing the 'Option' key

2 - Select 'Library' and then navigate to 'Application Support/Aperture'

3 - Open Plug-Ins folder (create if needed) and place 'PTLens.ApertureEdit' package inside.

Note - I list this because I have seen a couple of instances on OS X 10.8.x where the trial limit message keeps appearing when placed in the root level '/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins folder'. FWIW, it may have just been machine specific issues though.

Don't forget to disable 'Gatekeeper' before initial launch as indicated on his page:

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/mac/.doc/index.html

Good luck. 😉

Aug 8, 2013 7:00 PM in response to CorkyO2

CorkyO2 wrote:

In all cases, the non-destructive workflow is broken by the fact that you need either a rendered file from Aperture to be sent to the distortion correction, or you correct distortion and then import a non-RAW file into Aperture. No matter what we choose, the real solution needs to come from Apple for maintaining non-destructive workflow.

I think this comes close to what I was meaning when I mentioned correction on the raw file. Right now my workflow is to do whatever I want to the image, then use the PTLens correction. But the last image I did it on, I then wanted to edit more after I used the lens correction. But it was no longer a raw image. It probably didn't do much/any destruction to the file. But yes, the real solution needs to come from Apple.

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by this! It does seem that PTLens is the agreed upon solution for now. So I guess I will go ahead and purchase the full version. I appreciate everyone that chimed in. I do love my Apple stuff so I really wanted to stick with Aperture. I'm guessing you all know what I mean here. This really is the one thing that makes me want Lightroom tho! 😠

Aug 8, 2013 7:37 PM in response to sdmcgowan

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by this! It does seem that PTLens is the agreed upon solution for now. So I guess I will go ahead and purchase the full version. I appreciate everyone that chimed in. I do love my Apple stuff so I really wanted to stick with Aperture. I'm guessing you all know what I mean here. This really is the one thing that makes me want Lightroom tho! 😠

I understand the Lightroom thoughts. I have been using Adobe Camera RAW since it's inception at work and the lens correction panel is the same found in Lightroom. If your lens is supported it is a quick fix to get most issues resolved with manual correction adjustments as well. PTLens is very similar in that regard.

FWIW, here are a couple of links on why two Aperture users are sticking with Aperture:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2013/8/2/guest-post-why-i-use-aperture-instea d-of-lightroom.html

http://photo.rwboyer.com/2013/08/04/2013-aperture-3-still-my-go-to-tool/

The second link is mentioned in one of the comments in the first linked page. Rob used to post here alot helping people with Aperture 2 and the first year of Aperture 3's release. He has a somewhat edgy style, but is quite knowledgeable as a photographer and Aperture.

Just thought I would post those in case any want some inspiration to hang on with Aperture and see what year's end will bring from Apple (if anything). 😉

Aug 9, 2013 6:54 AM in response to CorkyO2

Up and running with PTLens. Thanks for the help. Exactly what I was looking for.

Like many others, it seems, I am wondering why this is not integrated into Aperture, as it is not otherwise on a par with Lightroom, although I speak as a complete novice in regard to such matters! It just seems that this kind of tool would be anyone's first stop when post-processing images.

Anyway, happy now. Thanks again, huge amounts of good will and assistance evident on the Apple forums.

What do you use to correct lens distortion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.