Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wanna download around 4GB of additional content and i have 11GB free on my drive...yet i get a msg saying drive is full...can someone help?

wanna download around 4GB of additional content and i have 11GB free on my drive...yet i get a msg saying drive is full...can someone help?

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.6.8), macbook air

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Possible. A 4GB download needs up to 2.5 times the size (in this case about 10GB) during the installation after the download. Plus some safety margin, that you don't run out of space and the system goes down. So, yes, makes sense.

6 replies

Aug 14, 2013 6:49 AM in response to Friction ms2

Well.. it's not a case of 'settling' for an answer.. What Blueberry said is correct..

Its a fact.

I'll also add to that two things..

1) OS X needs roughly 20% of system drive free space to work efficiently.. It needs 'breathing space' if you like,. and if you are running OS X with less than 20% of free system drive space then OS X's performance will become sluggish...

2) When you do anything in OS X some disk space is often used temporarily in place of system memory and that alone can quickly 'eat' into what you think you have as free space.. so add to that the act of downloading 4GB that can and will actually require much more space than simply what is needed by the download itself.. and you run out of your available space real quick. This is what Blueberry is aluding to...

As an aside...A Macbook Air with their typically small system drives.. are great for what they are designed to do.. but running a memory and HD intensive program such as Logic Pro.. is not really their forte by any means,.. They can do it of course, but you have to make many compromises in the process.. and one of those includes using external HDs for storage of anything you don't need on a daily basis so you keep your System drive as 'clean' as possible .. and that means sacrificing convenience..

Aug 14, 2013 8:57 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

thanx for your input guys...now here's the KICKER

i had sucessfully downloaded all components of MS a year back under tighter circumstances compared to now...(in fact i think i

had roughly the same amount of disk space free as the data to be downloaded !!!!! ) i reformated my drive and

try to download under "very favourable" circumstaces compared to last time and just imagine my surprise !

hope i've given u a clearer picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.