Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to TOTALLY deactivate iMessage

I'm a huge Apple fan and I'm as big an iPhone fan. What I'm not is an iMessage fan. How can I completely disable iMessage on my Mac...and I mean TOTALLY disable it. Currently, every time I get a text message from my wife it goes to iMessage and NOT to my phone, which is not the behavior I want. I don't want little blue text message bubbles on my iPhone, I want green ones (true text messages). This used to work just fine, but all of a sudden reverted to receiving iMessages when she sends me a text and vice versa. Further, why does there have to be a tie between my mobile number and iMessage to begin with? What I do on my phone should have nothing to do with what I do on my Mac.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 6:35 PM

Just sign out of iMessage in Messages. Go to Messages - Preferences - Accounts, and delete any "iMessage" accounts you see there.

You can delete the other accounts if you never want to use Messages.

The tie between phone number and iCloud account is optional. A lot of people like it. You can turn it off.

Matt

3 replies

How to TOTALLY deactivate iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.