Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting encrypted backups?

I just recived my new Ipad I ordered from Apple, and was planning on loading it up from the backup from the backup I set up from my Iphone 4s. However, I quickly discovered that my backup data was encrypted with a password. Now, I know I have noone to blame but myself here; but I have tried every possible password I can think of, and none have brought me any success.

By now, I've pretty much given up on cracking the old backup, as Apple somehow doesn't have a "Forgot my password" option for such a crucial datapoint. So, I was wondering: if there is any way to delete the old encrypted backup, and set up a new one without a password? And, if I do so, will it delete all the app data on my Iphone?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 6:37 PM

10 replies

Jul 6, 2017 6:50 AM in response to gdibbz

The only way to use an encrypted backup or turn off backup encryption if currently enabled is with the password that was entered when it was set up. The setting is stored on the device itself, so persists even if you delete your current backup set or switch to a new computer. The password might be any computer, Apple ID, Wi-Fi password or device PIN that you've used in the past, working from the assumption that you might have reused a common password that you were using when you first activated encryption. See About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support for details.

If you want to turn off encryption going forward you can either erase and set up as a new device, or backup the current state of the device to iCloud, then subsequently restore from it. Non-iTunes media will need reloading from your computer once the restore is complete. See How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support for details. Obviously this approach is only helpful if your device is currently functioning correctly. If you have content on your device that isn't in your library see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

tt2

Jul 5, 2017 5:55 PM in response to Chris CA

False... there are cases after cases that the encryption is showing up without setting it. I have run into this problem. If I can use money and buy off of itunes with my itunes password which in turn also would have access to purchase from my itunes... yet, I can recover this password. It doesn't make any sense and it is ludicrous that Apple hasn't figured this out.

Aug 8, 2013 9:03 PM in response to Chris CA

Like I said, I've accepted that the password is MIA due to my negligence. However, there's a difference between security and uneccescary inconvienece. The security is far less tight and rigid for other, more important information than we all give Apple.

But either way, I was looking for help with my question. You seem like you know what you're talking about. Is there any way I can delete my old backup and set up a new one without encryption?

Oct 12, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Breaker332

The support for encrypted backup is a requirement for iPhones to be secure in a corporate or government environment. If there were a "back door" to defeat the backup encryption most corporate Information Security departments would ban the use of iPhones in business. Keep in mind that even the President of the US can use an iPhone, so security is really taken seriously. Any time there is a way around encryption the bad guys will find it. That's why Apple does not provide one.

The good news is you can try as many times as you like. And, to make it go fast, instead of guessing each time you try to restore, just click the Change Password button in iTunes; this is much faster.

Finally, after all I've said, there IS a way around backup encryption. But it isn't cheap, and will only work for simple passwords. Elcomsoft makes a backup encryption cracker for use by law enforcement agencies. But anyone can buy it. At one time they had a trial version that would give you the first 2 characters of your passcode; it may still be available. There are a couple of other claimed iPhone backup password crackers that sometimes spam the Apple Support Communities. They are frauds, for the most part.

NOTE: I have no connection with Elcomsoft; I am only reporting what others in this situation have used successfully.

Resetting encrypted backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.