Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the phone number associated with iMessage in my iPad

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 3s, then an iPad 2' which then synced to my iPhone, using the same apple ID. This meant that the iMessage was synced between the iPad and the iPhone. All good so far.

I have now bought a new Iphone 5 , in addition to the iPhone 3, which has a new number. I change the phone number in my Apple ID to the new number, but my iPad still synced its iMessages with the old phone, not the new phone.

I intend to cancel he service with the old iPhone 3 and stop using that number.

However, I cannot find a way to change the number in my iPad to the new one.

I would appreciate some tips on how to do this. Thanks.

iPad 2, iMessage

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 12:22 AM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Diavonex

No, I respectfully state that this is not correct. Yes, this is the place where I can view this, but when I go in there I can only toggle the number on or off, I need to be able to CHANGE the number that is there from my old one to my new one. I have gone into my Apple ID and changed my phone number, but when I toggle the number on and off, it waits a fraction, then says "verifying" then comes back with the same number.

Thoughts ?

Aug 9, 2013 3:40 AM in response to DLennard

You will most likely have to sign out of Messages and FaceTime on all devices and start the process of setting up both apps all over again with the newest iPhone number - on the new iPhone. You can read this for more information. It tells you how you can link a phone number with your iDevices. The most pertinent information will be at the end of the kb article.

iOS nd OS X: link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and Messages.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Changing the phone number associated with iMessage in my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.