Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare using lower quality retina displays when repairing?

so last month, my mid-2012 retina display starting showing signs of banding. i was out of warranty, so i paid apple to fix the problem and they replaced the retina display. after bringing it home, i noticed that the colors weren't as vibrant as they were before, so i compared it to my sister's retina model (same exact model and build), and my assumptions were correct. the colors weren't as vibrant, and blacks seemed lighter; it seems as if the backlight was turned way up.

i reinstalled os x in case any default color settings were changed and played with the advanced calibration settings, but i can't get it to match the display on my sister's computer. the problem is definitely with the hardware.

i tried my best to take a picture of the two side by side to show you guys. both computers are plugged in running on full brightness with the exact same color settings. the display on the right is my sister's. it has deeper and richer colors, and you can more easily make out the details of the surface of the planet. the display on the left is the one apple just replaced, and it seems a little whitewashed with much poorer contrast.

User uploaded file

i have 90 days after the work was completed to bring it back to the apple store in case there are any issues. is this something i can have fixed/replaced, or will they just tell me something along the lines of "tough luck, we can only replace it with the parts we have on hand"?

i'm sorry if this seems like a small detail i'm griping about, but i paid around $2000 originally and hundreds more to have the screen replaced, so i'd at least expect the same quality.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 10:01 PM

15 replies

Aug 8, 2013 10:11 PM in response to wowsza

Have you tried and compared the contrast setting? Head over to System Preferences > Accesibility and you should see somewhere there the Contrast bar, it's adjustable... Slide it to the right to increase it, NOTE: Do not increase it too much as it may affect the color of your Screen.

I would recommend putting it at the same exact place in which your sister's MacBook Pro has it. If you still note the difference, take both MacBook Pro's to the Apple Store before the 90 days pass, and explain them the problem and make them look the difference!

Hope your problem gets fixed soon!

Later!

Aug 8, 2013 10:18 PM in response to EduardoLG

thanks for the response, EduardoLG

and yes, i started with contrast settings on both computers at the default levels, and there was a noticeable difference in image quality. i can slide the contrast bar to achieve the same black levels, but at the expense of washing out any kind of contrast i have between different shades of white. positioning makes no difference, the disparity between the displays is still apparent.

i was planning on taking this into the apple store tomorrow, but i wanted to get the community's opinion on this first before making the drive. i did a quick search and couldn't find another thread on this so i'm "hoping" it's an isolated issue that they would be willing to fix.

Aug 9, 2013 12:55 AM in response to wowsza

Apparently, Apple is replacing the more-prone-to-image retention (but better overall color) LG displays with less-prone-to-image retention (but with more 'washed out' and tinted coloration) Samsung displays.

Looks as if you got a Samsung and your sister still has an LG.

I wouldn't worry about it, much. If you've access to a good colorimeter, use it to calibrate the Samsung display.

Good luck,

Clinton

Aug 9, 2013 7:48 AM in response to wowsza

wowsza wrote:

...i noticed that the colors weren't as vibrant as they were before, so i compared it to my sister's retina model (same exact model and build), and my assumptions were correct. the colors weren't as vibrant, and blacks seemed lighter; it seems as if the backlight was turned way up.

i reinstalled os x in case any default color settings were changed and played with the advanced calibration settings, but i can't get it to match the display on my sister's computer. the problem is definitely with the hardware...

If you look through this remarkably lengthy thread, you'll find that what you've got as a replacement screen is what most of the people complaining wish they had.

Aug 9, 2013 3:25 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

i have seen that thread, and from everything i've read samsung screens are supposed to have better image quality and no image retention issues, but the fact of the matter is the samsung screen i own has poorer image quality than the LG screen i had before. if you look at the post by user Bradsop on August 7th at 11:40 AM, he had this to say about the replacement samsung screens:

"Most replacement screens have been Samsung, some of those have other issues such as color, but there is no guarantee that your replacement screen will be Samsung. But anechdotal evidence from the posts here suggest that it is likely, if you replace the screen only, it will be Samsung."

so it appears as if someone else has noticed as well.

i have owned multiple pioneer kuro displays and high end computer monitors, so i understand the nuances of dynamic contrast, black/white levels, and color accuracy fairly well. today, i even showed a few friends of mine (who also own mbp retinas) if they noticed anything strange about the display, and they were able to easily tell that the display was way too bright and the colors faded.

if the samsung displays are truly supposed to be better than the LGs, i would want a replacement. i paid apple $700+ to replace a screen with banding issues, and in turn received an inferior display. judging from apple's initial reaction to the LG fiasco though, i doubt they'd be willing to replace the screen.

Aug 9, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Merch Visoiu

no yellow tint, just poorer colors overall that seemed washed out. the difference is easily noticeable even when not comparing two displays side by side, but as you said, i'm sure if i brought it into the store i would be told something like " it's within apple limits".

i have 90 days from when the repair was made (about two weeks ago), but i'm not sure what kind of options i have since it was an out of warranty service. even if i can convince them to replace the screen again (doubtful), i could just end up with another inferior display, and i wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a refund since work was performed and parts were replaced.

it also annoys me that certain users feel as though i should be thankful i got a samsung, or that the hardware is working perfectly and i am just nitpicking. there is a difference between people complaining about not having a samsung lcd, and me complaining about paying $700 for one with inaccurate colors. i suppose it's my fault then for buying a mac too😕

Aug 9, 2013 5:03 PM in response to wowsza

wowsza wrote:

it also annoys me that certain users feel as though i should be thankful i got a samsung, or that the hardware is working perfectly and i am just nitpicking. there is a difference between people complaining about not having a samsung lcd, and me complaining about paying $700 for one with inaccurate colors. i suppose it's my fault then for buying a mac too😕

So basically you paid $2,200 + $700 = $2,900 and didn't get the product that Apple advertised.

Aug 9, 2013 5:17 PM in response to Merch Visoiu

Merch Visoiu

So basically you paid $2,200 + $700 = $2,900 and didn't get the product that Apple advertised.

thats incorrect sir,.....

CORRECTION: Apple doesnt advertise anywhere that you're getting either the Samsung screen or the LG

I posted late at night and I knew better,.... the contrasty screen on the right is the LG, and the one on the left is the Samsung. My error, I knew better 😊

Aug 9, 2013 7:25 PM in response to wowsza

wowsza wrote:

i have seen that thread, and from everything i've read samsung screens are supposed to have better image quality and no image retention issues, but the fact of the matter is the samsung screen i own has poorer image quality than the LG screen i had before. if you look at the post by user Bradsop on August 7th at 11:40 AM, he had this to say about the replacement samsung screens:

"Most replacement screens have been Samsung, some of those have other issues such as color, but there is no guarantee that your replacement screen will be Samsung. But anechdotal evidence from the posts here suggest that it is likely, if you replace the screen only, it will be Samsung."

so it appears as if someone else has noticed as well...

FWIW, I have an LG SJA2 screen on my 2013 rMBP; there is no IR, at least not yet, and the color and image quality are just fine. As I've said before, if it works, leave it alone, and that's what I'm doing. But the Samsung monitors are broadly considered to be a panacea, and most people who get them as replacements rejoice; those finding other issues are in the minority, their issues being real none the less.

AppleCare using lower quality retina displays when repairing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.