Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display mode blinking black

I am having a very annoying issue using target display mode with my iMac connected to my mbp. I have the 2meter thunderbolt cable connecting the two machines. They enter TDM correctly but continually the iMac screen will go black for a second and then reappear. This is very annoying and unacceptable to be honest. I have searched and read many blogs and threads about similar issues, none of which have any answers.

iMac

• 27-inch, Mid 2011
  • 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

MacBook Pro

• Retina, 15-Inch, Early 2013
  • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Sometimes it seems I will see a message in the system.log around the time this happens:

Aug 8 18:28:35 iMac.local WindowServer[109]: MPAccessSurfaceForDisplayDevice: Set up page flip mode on display 0x042801c0 device: 0x10e074a10 isBackBuffered: 1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3

If anyone has some ideas on what may fix this issue I would love to hear them.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 12:40 AM

91 replies

Aug 10, 2013 7:43 AM in response to jarrod78

I've been working with Apple Support for the past few months on this issue. I've sent capture data and logs, etc. The hardware guys are looking into it. In my setup I have 3 iMacs (2 connected in target display mode). Both iMacs that are set to act as monitors blink back at different times. It seems random, but I noticed that it happens more often when doing something GPU intensive. I can trigger it by pressing the expose key repeatedly for example.

Here is a quick video (watch the screen on the left - you'll see it blink back at the 3 sec mark and 21 sec mark).

http://embraceware.com/temp/imac.mov

I've tried multiple thunderbolt cables and different lengths - no difference. I am hoping that a firmware update will correct it. I installed OS X Mavericks to see if maybe there were updated graphics drivers but the issue happens when running Mavericks as well.

Aug 13, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Jerry Brace

Thank you both for the information and suggestions. Thank you for mentioning you tried Mavericks, I had planned to try that as well.

I returned my thunderbolt cable and replaced it with a new 0.5 meter cable instead of the 2 meter cable I had before. The black screen blinking still occurs. I tried reseting both the SMC and the PRAM/NVRAM, this also did not fix the issue.

When I spoke with the people at my local apple store they said they had never head of this issue before. They said I can bring both my machines in and they will try to look at the issue, bringing my iMac and MBP in is almost not possible for me sadly as I do not drive.

Jerry Brace, please keep me updated as to any response from Apple Support, from your video I can see that it is the exact same issue that I am having. If they want any other logs from another machine having the same issue let me know, I will provide anything I can to help solve this issue.

So frustrating.

Aug 15, 2013 8:36 AM in response to jarrod78

I am having this exact same issue with almost the same exact 15" Retina MacBook Pro connected to a 21.5" iMac in Target Display Mode via Apple Thunderbolt cable. I also have a 24" Cinema Display that uses DVI/Mini-display port connected using the second Thunderbolt port on the MBP. Please note, this blinking black screen only happens on the iMac -- it does not happen on the cinema display at all.

- Retina 15", Early 2013

- 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I have tried to resolve this issue via the Automatic Graphics Switching feature and other Energy settings with no luck. It definitely happens during GPU intensive work like photo editing in Aperture and video editing in Final Cut Pro X. I use a USB 3.0 hdd (WD My Passport) to store my media externally when I use Aperture and FCPX.

Would LOVE to find a solution to this because it is a bit disconcerting that a brand new (I bought the computer only a few weeks ago) MacBook Pro would have this issue.

A good friend of mine has a Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro and has two 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays daisy-chained and has never once had the screen blink black.

He recommended unchecking the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" -- I'm going to try that this afternoon when I begin some editing work in FCPX.

Not sure if this is related to the blinking black screen issue, but I also noticed that when I'm moving my cursor over a link on a webpage, the arrow/hand flickers back and forth constantly.

Also, when I open my MBP out of clamshell mode after being connected to the two monitors, on occasion it will have a black screen -- not the black screen you get when it's powered off but it's a visible black screen that's being displayed by the GPU (I assume). The Apple logo on the back of the screen is illuminated, closing the lid and re-opening doesn't make it go away, re-connecting to the monitors doesn't make it go away -- I have to force the computer off and turn it back on.

What I notice next is that the battery life is drastically reduced on the computer. All of a sudden it's showing a half-charge on the battery icon but it's saying it's got only 2.5 hours of life remaining when it should have 4-5. So I do a PRAM reset and when the computer restarts and calculates the battery life, it's back up to 5.5 hrs.

I'd be curious to know if you're having any of those issues as well.

Aug 23, 2013 1:15 PM in response to jarrod78

It struck me that perhaps this blinking issue was being caused by the resolution setting on my MacBook Pro. I always have it set to the highest resolution but decided to change it to "Best for Retina" in the Displays Sys Prefs pane. I've been editing in FCPX now for about an hour and haven't had one blink from the computer.

Running smoothly with no glitches. If I go the rest of the day without a blink, I'll consider the issue resolved.

Give it a try and see if you get the same results.

Aug 29, 2013 11:03 AM in response to matthew o-b

Thanks for the updates matthew, I have also been trying everything I can think of and find on the internet about this issue. I have tried multiple cables as mentioned above, different screen resolutions, changing screen saver/energey saver settings/automatic graphics switching settings on both the MBP and the iMac. I am still seeing the exact same amount of black flashing.

Jerry Brace, have you heard anything or made any progress with Apple Support on this issue? Let us know if there is anything we can provide that may help them as well. Maybe logs from a few people having the issue could help.

I would love to solve this, working like this is so frustrating!

Aug 31, 2013 10:41 AM in response to jarrod78

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been having this same problem for months and it's about driven me to the point of going to buy a new monitor. I primarily use Lightroom and Photoshop and on thing I've noticed is when the blacking out starts I often lose my cursor as well. I have a Mid-2012 MBP w/ Retina and a Mid-2011 27" iMac.

Aug 31, 2013 10:52 AM in response to jarrod78

Hey guys - no information to report yet. I'm still waiting for them to call back. Not impressed - I reported this problem back in April. I'm going to dig up the ticket reference and call them again.

Just to summarize - it's not related to bad cables or OS version. I suspect this will be handled in a Firmware update for the GPU or updated graphics drivers.

I hope to report something soon.

Sep 3, 2013 5:43 AM in response to jarrod78

I also am having the same problem. I am using a mid 2012, 15" MacBook Pro Retina and mid 2011 27" iMac with an early 2 meter Thunderbolt cable. If just sit and watch the displays, don't see the problem, the more I use the displays, the more frequent the problem. I have none of the these problems when connected to my 27" Thunderbolt display so it is not anything to do with driing that resolution display on Thunderbolt.

Sep 3, 2013 1:38 PM in response to LANdrew4

I agree, when my machines are faily idle the display is always fine. When I start taxing the CPU is when I start seeing a lot of blinking. I am a software developer so its usually when I am compiling source code and the CPU's all start hitting 100%

I do see the problem at other times, but it is usually when the machine is busy.

Sep 6, 2013 12:01 PM in response to jarrod78

I am very please to say that I was able to reproduce this issue in an Apple store with the tech watching on a brand new Retina MBP and new iMac.

After showing the issue on my machine connected to their iMac, and that it did not happen with my machine connected to their thunderbolt display, we tried on all their new hardware and the issue was reproducible.

I did find that with high CPU load the issue happens almost right away. On my machine I just did my regular workflow of compiling code and running some development apps that take a lot of cpu along with some virtual machines. On their machine we just used some tools to max the CPU and it happened right away.

I believe there will a case opened with the engineers now and I will hopefully get that going today. I will keep this thread updated with any further infomation I come up with.

Target display mode blinking black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.