Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 wont read Sony RAW (.arw)

Hi,

I have iPhoto 11 on my iMac & sony RAW files are fine. Today I just upgraded my older laptop (10.6.3) to iPhoto 11 too, but it wont open the same ARW files.

I checked the iPhoto version after upgrading & it says iPhoto '11 : 9.0 - I check for updates & it says i am up to date, but i am pretty sure iphoto 11 has some more updates after 9.0. Now I am stuck on how to get the support for these RAW files?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 6:01 AM

Update the System software on that mac. The latest version of of the 10.6 OS is 10.6.8. These system updates also contain Rw support for additional cameras.

The latest version of iPhoto 11 that will run on 10.6.8 is iPhoto 11 v9.2.3. Check on

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

for updates. You may need to update to 9.1 first before moving on to 9.2 and so on.

However, the Raw from every model of camera is different. Note: that's every model not every brand. So, the NEF produced by a Nikon D300 is not the same as the NEF produced by a D5000, the CR2 produced by a Canon 60D is not the same as the CR2 produced by a Canon 7D and so on. So when you speak of a "Sony RAW" it doesn't mean anything, and each Sony has a different Raw.

Raw support is in the OS, not in iPhoto. So, be sure to check for the Camera Raw updates as well.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Riquez

Update the System software on that mac. The latest version of of the 10.6 OS is 10.6.8. These system updates also contain Rw support for additional cameras.

The latest version of iPhoto 11 that will run on 10.6.8 is iPhoto 11 v9.2.3. Check on

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

for updates. You may need to update to 9.1 first before moving on to 9.2 and so on.

However, the Raw from every model of camera is different. Note: that's every model not every brand. So, the NEF produced by a Nikon D300 is not the same as the NEF produced by a D5000, the CR2 produced by a Canon 60D is not the same as the CR2 produced by a Canon 7D and so on. So when you speak of a "Sony RAW" it doesn't mean anything, and each Sony has a different Raw.

Raw support is in the OS, not in iPhoto. So, be sure to check for the Camera Raw updates as well.

Aug 9, 2013 6:05 AM in response to Riquez

What is the make of your Sony Camera?

Check this list for the raw support that is needed to support your camera. You may need to install additional Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates from the Apple Support page.

OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats

Snow Leopard will support these cameras without additional raw compatibility updates:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3825

iPhoto 11 wont read Sony RAW (.arw)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.