Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Hi,

I have searched several places where there are similar discussions but most of them are on high level hardware requirements. It seems that there is a kernel issue due to which I cannot upgrade - so please help me figure out 2 key questions with regards to upgrading.

My system's hardware and software details are as follows:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

Boot Volume: Big Brain

Boot Mode: Normal

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

From this kb support article, I have a 64 bit processor;

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and majority of the extensions under my software menu are 'yes' - meaning my kernel is compatible to a 64-bit mode, but is currently running in 32-bit mode.

Following this kb advice, I switched my kernel architecture to 64-bit through terminal. But on checking again, it really offers only 32-bit mode (I386 i386)

See Terminal script:

Marceau-2:~ Bee$ sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

setting kernel architecture to: x86_64

changes to kernel architecture have been saved.

Marceau-2:~ Bee$ uname -a

Darwin Marceau-2.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Marceau-2:~ Bee$

Is there a way to switch my kernel architecture to 64-bit so that I can upgrade to OS X 10.7 and then to Mountain Lion? I went to the apple store in person, but the staff wasn't able to help. I am a big fan of my Macbook 3.1 and want to be able to upgrade its OS alongwith understanding how it works - I would very much appreciate if you could point me in the right direction:

- From this ars technica article, it seems the key challenge is overcoming the hurdle of kernel not being 64-bit; so how can I make my kernel compatible or upgrade it?

- Once I have done that, I plan to upgrade RAM to 4GB so that I can run Mountain Lion. Is that the only hardware upgrade I require?

Thank you very much in advance!

Message was edited by: Lyra_real

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Kernel 64bit, 2 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 6:18 AM

7 replies

Aug 9, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Lyra_real

Your computer can not be upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8)

OS X Mountain Lion system requirements

To install Mountain Lion, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Aug 9, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Lyra_real

Neither will you be able to upgrade to Lion 😟.

Both Operating Systems are made to go with an Intel based machine, Intel being a development which is necessary for both these systems, but which cannot be incorporated into the machine you have.

Lyra, truth is, your Mac belongs to the past and for Mountain Lion you will have to buy a more modern machine. On the brighter side, 10.6.8 is an excellent system and I for one am going to hang onto it as long as I can.

Aug 9, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Lyra_real

Thanks for the star, Lyra. The apps you are referring to are probably those known as PPC apps.

That aspect has made 10.6.8 indespensible to me because I have some language courses that would be very expensive to buy again 😟

10.6.8 is still being serviced by Apple to some degree and many people just don't like the Lion system. Perhaps Mavericks, when it comes, will justify a new machine, but give it six months to bed down first.

Aug 9, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Lyra_real

OS X Lion - Technical Specifications

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

I'd want 4GB+ Apple MacBook Memory DDR2 667MHz up to 6.0GB

and do check first that you haven't any PPC applications which won't work, or any apps that don't run on 10.7+

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.