Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New computer, music from my ipod transfer

Hi there. I'm getting my new Mac tonight and I'm using a pc at the moment. I have 14.62gb of music on this pc and I want to know the easiest way to get all of that onto my Mac without downloading stuff that could have viruses and mess with the computer

Mac Pro, help

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 9:13 AM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2013 9:22 AM in response to rachelcallan

When you first get your new Mac and turn it on, it will ask you if you would like to transfer content from another computer. Be sure to do that, since it is the easiest way to ensure music, photos, contacts, emails, and other documents on your old PC will be copied to your new Mac. You can copy information later but it's not as easy as it is when you first set up the Mac.

14+ GB is a lot of information to transfer so be sure to use a wired connection between the two. Transferring wirelessly will take the better part of a day even under ideal conditions, and could take much longer.

Viruses on your PC, if there are any, cannot harm your Mac.

Once copied from the PC, verify that all your music has been successfully imported into your iTunes Library. Sync your iPod to the PC one last time as a backup, and then sync it to the Mac. Syncing it to the Mac will erase the iPod first so you will want to ensure the Mac contains all your music.

Enjoy your new Mac!

Aug 9, 2013 9:29 AM in response to rachelcallan

Here is a brief introduction to the subject, courtesy of Apple Support Communities contributor Pondini:

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC

You will want to read the detailed procedure under Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion

As he wrote: "Don't be alarmed by the length of this page". You will find the options applicable to you easily enough.

New computer, music from my ipod transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.