Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not sign in to iMessage. (10.8.4)

User uploaded file

I have been using iMessage on my Mac for a long time, but recently discovered that it wouldn't let me log in using my main Apple ID. iMessage working fine on iPad and iPhone. I did not change my password - there doesn't seem to be and event that made this happen. I have deleted the accounts from iMessage, and re-added them. Same result.

Any ideas?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 9:31 AM

A friend suggested deleting the iMessage preference files. I did that. Didn't solve the problem.

But then I deleted them again AND restarted.

Now it's all better!

4 replies

Aug 16, 2013 9:59 AM in response to raisoidah

Quit the application.

You need to look in your user Library/Preferences for the .plist(s). Either hold down the option key while using the Finder “Go To Folder” command and select your user Library in your home folder or use the Finder Go To Folder command and enter ~/Library/Preferences. They are com.apple.ichat. xxxxxx Move the .plist(s) to your desktop.

Open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist(s) from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist(s) to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.4. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Aug 16, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Eric Root

HI,

Actually.

Delete com.apple.imservice.imessages.plist and com.apple.imessages.bag.plist and not all the iChat ones.

These two specific ones for the iMessages account in Messages deal with the Apple ID that has been used and the Server that the Login is trying to get to.

For your info.

com.apple.ichat.plists holds all the Preferences Settings except accounts and some Menu items like the Style, Show Smilies, Show Video or Audio Status.

com.apple.ichat.aim.plist only holds the logged in Status of any AIM Screen Name or AIM valid name.

For instance if your System Crashes whilst Logged in the AIM Servers will notice you "left" and set you Account to Off line.

However when you relaunch the com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist tries to say you are logged in.

You can obviously have issue around this.

The com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist does the same for all Jabber Logins (GoogleTalk, Facebook and other Servers)

com.apple.ichat.Subnet is about whether your were using the Bonjour account.

The SharedLists one is about the Recent Chats Lists.

The Saved Status Messages "does what it says on the tin"

com.apple.imagent.plist Holds the iTunes Playing data order info.

See this older iChatAgent tip at MacOSXHints You have to change the ichatagent bit to imagent.

It also holds the info about whether the camera, Mic an Screen Sharing (which iMessages cannot do) are active.

User uploaded file
9:03 PM Friday; August 16, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Could not sign in to iMessage. (10.8.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.