Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 snow slot drive will not boot

my imac g3 is the snow edition and has a slot drive when i went on the internet with safari the hard drive stopped spinning and i powwered it back on it went to a grey screen i dont know what to do and i am 13 dont worry though i fix computers for my friends and i am not affraid to put in a new hard drive if needed pleaseeeeee help me why does it do this and what do i have to do to fix it

iMac G3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 3:07 AM

As a test, to confirm the iMac still works (except maybe the hard drive), insert your Mac OS X installation disc into the optical drive, and try to start up from it. Press and hold down the C key at startup.

If it is able to start up and get to the Installer screen, the iMac still works. From the Installer screen, go to the menu bar and select to run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. See if the hard drive appears in the Disk Utility sidebar. If it does, you can go to the First Aid tab and use Verify Disk (or Repair Disk). If it does not, or if it appears there only as a "device" with no startup disk volume below, the hard drive is probably faulty.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2013 3:07 AM in response to parkketler

As a test, to confirm the iMac still works (except maybe the hard drive), insert your Mac OS X installation disc into the optical drive, and try to start up from it. Press and hold down the C key at startup.

If it is able to start up and get to the Installer screen, the iMac still works. From the Installer screen, go to the menu bar and select to run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. See if the hard drive appears in the Disk Utility sidebar. If it does, you can go to the First Aid tab and use Verify Disk (or Repair Disk). If it does not, or if it appears there only as a "device" with no startup disk volume below, the hard drive is probably faulty.

iMac G3 snow slot drive will not boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.