Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using macbook w/ bad battery

My battery is shot but for reasons too complicated to go into I can't get it replaced, at least not right now. Can I continue to use my Macbook Pro just plugged in, or will this make the computer explode or fry itself? Is there a way to switch to some kind of "power cord only" mode where the power bypasses the battery and goes directly into the computer? I'm guessing no, because that would make too much sense.

I don't know if there are benefits to having a battery I can't just replace myself, but I wish someone would have told me before I bought this thing that I can't do this.

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 2:21 PM

Just keep a sharp eye on your bad battery to be sure it does not start to swell. If it does swell, then remove it. You can continue to operate from the charger, but the CPU will be operating at half speed. This is normal.

4 replies

Aug 9, 2013 2:46 PM in response to username999

I don't know what specific MBP model you have. You must have a model with a removable battery, so there is an obvious battery compartment that is user-accessible without any disassembly required.

If you have a model without a replaceable battery, then you cannot remove it nor observe it. In this case you really should take it in to have the battery replaced by Apple.

Aug 9, 2013 3:02 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, I have one with a battery that must be replaced by a technician, and I cannot go anywhere near a Mac store for at least a few months. I can have a battery shipped to me, which is what I had planned on doing, until I realized this computer was not like my old one (which had a replaceable battery). I rely on this computer for work.

I'll have to just use this one until it blows up and then get a PC or something else with a bloody replaceable battery!!

Thanks for the help.

Using macbook w/ bad battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.