Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you get old iMovie files back in Mountain Lion without backing up?

I currently have Lion installed right now. I am thinking about installing Mountain Lion. The thing is, I have a lot of files on iMovie. I understand Mountain Lion doesn't include iLife at all. So, if you download iMovie on Mountain Lion, will it include the old files from Lion or do you have to start over?

iMac

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 8:17 PM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2013 11:00 PM in response to animestuff13

animestuff13 wrote:

… I've heard that even though iMovie comes with Lion, it gets deleted when you install Mountain Lion, therefore deleting all the events and projects that used to be on iMovie with Lion. I was wondering if I can somehow restore them without having to back them up.…

depends on HOW you upgrade your System:

a so-called 'clean install' indded wipes-off EVERYTHING from your hard-drive. Not only iMovie, any other app, any other document, all music, photos, etc. After a clean-install you have to re-install ANY other app, and for sure all your 'personal belongings' - e.g. from some back-up.

a simple to perform upgrade keeps all data and apps untouched.

just purchase/download 10.8 in the appstore, click install - done.

MacOS is a UNIX derivate - OS, apps, data are handled seperately.

Can you get old iMovie files back in Mountain Lion without backing up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.