Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011 - Power Issue - Service asking for LogicBoard replacement

Hi Friends,

I bought my MBP 13" Early 2011 in Oct 2011 in India. It was running smooth and I trusted the reliability of Apple so much that I was too lazy to take AppleCare(I thought to do in later stage of warranty).

Now, within 2 years of operation, suddenly the MagSafe charger one day didn't turned to amber and stayed green even if the battery was around 60% charged. At first it seemed it's an adapter issue and I started looking for MagSafe 60W L-connector adapter and was almost ready to buy it, but bad reviews on apple site for the adapter held me for a few days and I called Apple Support and they advised to get an opinion from service center.

I got it checked at Authorised Service Center in Kolkata and instantly found that the Adapter has no issues and it is charging another MacBook there without any issues. So, I had to deposite the Laptop after paying up-front INR 2100 for diagnosis. They said it will either be DC-Input or LogicBoard.

I was almost confident that as laptop was running without any issues with battery and only was not charging it must be DC Input part which was cheaper they said - INR 1200 to 1400. But, only today I got to know that when I called that LogicBoard is damaged, and I need to pay INR 31200 for the replacement.

I want to ask fellow users that - given the symptoms it is possible that my LogicBoard is really damaged, or is there any possibility they are not telling me the facts? I have seen this practice to some other services but it's my first experience with apple, so I am just curious.

I asked 2 things in call after diagnosis that - have you tried changing battery? is it running - they said yes it's running on another battery. They tried changing DC-Input but even after that it's having the same problem.

My system runs fine, works fine, just doen't charge. The green light stays green on magsafe and doesnt change amber. Seems a small issue, but costing me INR 35K (~ USD 555$).Does it worth getting replaced given it will have a 3 months warranty on replace part.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Bought in Oct 2011, Out of warranty

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 12:40 AM

You'll just have to go with the 'wisdom' of the Apple techs - odd that you were charged for a diagnosis by an AASP: in the US there is no charge for a diagnosis and estimate. Perhaps they will apply that fee to the charge for the logic board? You could at least ask...

New logic boards are expensive. I'm sure that you'll know within 90 days (the warranty period for repairs) whether or not your problem was actually 'fixed.'

Good luck,

Clinton

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2013 12:40 AM in response to indianets

You'll just have to go with the 'wisdom' of the Apple techs - odd that you were charged for a diagnosis by an AASP: in the US there is no charge for a diagnosis and estimate. Perhaps they will apply that fee to the charge for the logic board? You could at least ask...

New logic boards are expensive. I'm sure that you'll know within 90 days (the warranty period for repairs) whether or not your problem was actually 'fixed.'

Good luck,

Clinton

Aug 10, 2013 3:11 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi Clinton,

Thank you very much for replying.

They said there will be a diagnosis charges to be paid upfront before they touch the system as it is out of warranty. And NO, they will not adjust it in the price of logicboard at all.

Customer Service is just a non-existent entity here in India, and I can't comment on the honesty of a person sitting there, I hope he's not telling a lie. I wish I had a free diagnosis and I could get a second opinion at a different service center.

I don't even think I have a chance to see the system with a new DC-Input that the problem is being solved or not.

Vijay

MBP 2011 - Power Issue - Service asking for LogicBoard replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.