Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes opens by itself when I browse music folder

iTunes works fine and my computer appears to be working fine. Running Windows 7 x64. If I open Windows Explorer and browse to the location C:\Users\craig\Music\iTunes, iTunes opens by itself.

Last I checked, there was no part of Windows that automatically starts an application when one browses into a folder. I could also find nothing in iTunes that adjusts this behavior. I can browse all over my hard disk through Windows Explorer without issue, but if I browse to the iTunes folder, iTunes opens. If I try to close iTunes, it keeps opening right back up until I close the Explorer window that has the iTunes folder open.

Is this by design? Is there a way to turn this off?

UPDATE: It seems to happen if I browse into any folder named "iTunes". I can create a folder on my desktop named "iTunes." If I open it, the folder opens like it's supposed to .. then the iTunes application opens. This really shouldn't be happening.

iTunes 11.0.4.4-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 9:44 AM

6 replies

Sep 28, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Craig718

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that this appears to be caused by the Logitech Gaming Software used for G-Series gaming keyboards. Specifically, it looks related to the music playback controls and LCD display on the keyboard, but beyond that I don't know.

When *any* window entitled "iTunes" is open on the computer (a folder named 'iTunes' for example, or even a dummy application with 'iTunes' as the window title), the Logitech Gaming Software was launching the iTunes application.

When I deactivated the Logitech Gaming Software, the problem completely disappeared.

Nov 25, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Craig718

[For Windows]

If none of the previous stuff worked do this:

Type 'msconfig' in Start & press Enter

In Services, disable 'iPod Service'

Restart

That's probably it but if you're still having trouble you can also try:

Type 'msconfig' in Start & press Enter

In Startup, disable 'Apple Push'

Open iTunes

Show menu bar (if it's not already showing)

Edit --> Preferences --> Store

Uncheck 'Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases'

Restart

Worked for me.

<Edited by Host>

iTunes opens by itself when I browse music folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.