Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Fans run extremely high!

Hello,

I'm a video editor working within Adobe Premiere Pro CC, and I edit all kinds of footage from DSLR all the way up to RED 5K. I have a Mac Pro (5,1), 6-Core 3.33Ghz with 32GB of DDR3 ECC 1333 MHz RAM. Also in there is a GTX 770 Graphics card with 4GB on board RAM, and a RAID controller.

The problem is that my system fans are CONSTANTLY kicking up to high gear. Whether I'm doing intensive or unintensive work with any kind of footage. It's always within premiere when they kick on. If I put the system to sleep they all go back to normal, but usually kick back on. It is terribly frustrating.

My system is out in the open, plenty of vintilation, and relatively dust-free.

Recently swtched graphics cards from a Quadro 4000 to this GTX, thinking the Quadro was the culprit, but the problem persists.

I've attached two screen shots of SMC Fan Control before and after the fans kick up to full speed. I don't know anything about the layout of these fans, or what does what. I also can't seem to run Apple Hardware Test to see if everything is fine...I try pressing the D key when booting up, but it just regularly starts up. Any other way to test the hardware?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I realize the graphics card will heat things up a bit, but this still seems abnormal. Can anybody help me troubleshoot? Or at least provide an explanation of the fan layout of the Mac Pro, or list some recommended fan speeds? I just can't seem to figure this thing out.

Thank you so much.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 6-Core 3.33Ghz with 32GB of RAM

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 1:54 PM

25 replies

Aug 10, 2013 1:56 PM in response to beauleland

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Aug 10, 2013 3:10 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Firstly, is Kappy your real name? My Dad is named Cappy, and I've never heard any name that comes even close to that.

Now more importantly. Fans just kicked on, but no processes seem to be very taxing. Nothing over 5%, or really even 6%. It took about 27 minutes for them to kick on from waking state.

Aug 10, 2013 3:26 PM in response to beauleland

Fir better detailed accurate thermal sensor read install Temperature Monitor

SmcfanControl sets the lowest rpm and users creste multiple profile settings

900 - 1200 - 1500 - etc and change as needed and test to keep system and cpu at 'reasonable temps'

Not sure how to get GTX readings, and may not be any OS X utility to monitor let alone control

You need OEM DVD to use AHT

Aug 10, 2013 4:00 PM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

Fir better detailed accurate thermal sensor read install Temperature Monitor

SmcfanControl sets the lowest rpm and users creste multiple profile settings

900 - 1200 - 1500 - etc and change as needed and test to keep system and cpu at 'reasonable temps'

Not sure how to get GTX readings, and may not be any OS X utility to monitor let alone control

You need OEM DVD to use AHT

Ok, great. I will definitely download that and keep an eye on things. I'll report back if I find anything crazy! On the SMC controls, and setting them to keep things at reasonable temps, do you know what a "reasonable temp" would be? And I realize that SMCfan control lets me set my own speeds, I just didn't know if there were any recommended speeds (or un-recommended speeds) for each fan. Thanks for the lead on Temp Monitor. I'll check it out!

Aug 10, 2013 4:13 PM in response to beauleland

CPU of course lower temp is better but you can expect to see 65ºC - and avoid or stay below 80's at all costs.

Use the two apps in conjunction.

Those are minimum fan rpm so if you know you will be stressing system, it is easier to switch to "ultra" set first and watch, and even 2000 rmp won't do any harm except to being loud.

Hardware Monitor is paid and can track temps, has more sensor readings and alert if X hits Y which might be handy.

Aug 10, 2013 7:12 PM in response to beauleland

Do you have Apple Care? You should have the Apple Techs look at it. Those fan speeds are outrageous. Especially if they speed up like that randomly.

My Mac Pro fans (2009 4,1) never, ever reach speeds like that. When I stress the CPU and max all cores, the fans hardly budge from their minimums. I've never seen the BOOST higher than 1300 rpms.

So I have the opposite problem---not enough RPMs.

Apple might give you a new logic board if they can't fix the SMC.

Aug 10, 2013 7:54 PM in response to beauleland

beauleland wrote:

User uploaded file

I realize the graphics card will heat things up a bit, but this still seems abnormal. Can anybody help me troubleshoot? Or at least provide an explanation of the fan layout of the Mac Pro, or list some recommended fan speeds? I just can't seem to figure this thing out.

Thank you so much.

It does look abnormal, especially if Activity Monitor doesn't show any processes using much of the CPU's capability. Keep in mind that going full blast, your CPU can show up to 1,200% usage in Activity Monitor (six cores, two threads each).

First, we both have the same Mac Pro with the same amount of RAM. Based on Temperature Gauge (from the App Store), the intended minimum and maximum speeds for the fans are PCI - 750/4500, PS - 750/2800, Exhaust 750/2800, Intake 600/2800, BOOSTA 800/4000.

Working up, the Intake fan is at the bottom of the front grill. The Exhaust fan is at the back end at the same level. You've had the processor tray out. Inside the processor block (the box behind the DIMM slots with horizontal fins) is BOOSTA. There'd be a BOOSTB if you had two CPU's. Those three (or four) fans cool the CPU and RAM. Above all that is the PCI fan, which is set in a bit from the grill and, for some reason, doesn't fill it's space at the front so, theoretically, the air could blow into the PCIe area, make a U turn around the right side and go back through the fan again. 😕 Finally, behind the optical drive bay is the PS and the fan is at the front of the PS. There's also a fan on the video card, and I've never seen a monitor which could show that fan's speed or temperature.

I keep an eye on smcFanControl's temperature reading in the menu bar and when it heads north of 100ºF I start going to one of the higher fan speed settings I've established. That's probably being over-cautious but I like my Mac Pro. And if the fans can't do the job, it's time to blow the dust out, and that includes the dust inside the video card.

Hope that helps some.

Aug 10, 2013 9:06 PM in response to Studio K

If I am able to get Apple Hardware Test to run on my system, is the logic board something it will be able to test? I do have Apple Care, but expires on September 13th. Maybe I should migrate my edit sweet over to the MacBook Pro and get the big dude in the shop. If there's a way to check things myself first, I'd opt for that.

Thanks for the info.

Aug 11, 2013 7:46 AM in response to beauleland

If you have only 1 month of warranty remaining, then you really should take it to Apple. I might be a pain to do that, but it may be worthwhile if they can repair it.

You should first attempt the SMC reset. Some suggest holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds while the machine is unplugged. It's worth trying.

If the problem continues, then do make use of your Apple Care. Just let them run the Hardware Test or Service Diagnostics. I've no idea how you could fix something like this on your own (if SMC reset fails to work).

Aug 11, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Studio K

I have indeed tried the SMC reset, but to no avail. But I didn't actually hold in the power button, I just powered down, unplugged for 15 seconds, and plugged back in for 5 seconds before powering on. You think I should try holding in the power button while unplugged? If the SMC is successfully reset is there a way to know?

I'll try that method if you all think its a good idea, but I do think I could manage with just MBP for a bit if Apple needs to fix some things.

Aug 11, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Studio K

Studio K wrote:

That's amazing that you never allow your system to exceed 100F. My CPU idles at 106F. There is never a moment when my system isn't North of 100F...

Well, sometimes it gets up to 104ºF and that's when I start boosting the fans.

...It nearly reaches 100C under load. Why Apple allows this I've no idea. But it is quiet.

I think you've answered your own question. Read through the threads complaining about fan noise vs complaining about heat. It seems like there's a lot more of the former.

Can you imagine if there was a fan in the iPad?😉

Mac Pro Fans run extremely high!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.