Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alert: No Internet Connection

Every time I boot up my new MacBook Pro, it comes up with an alert saying "No internet connection", and despite my strong wi-fi connection, the internet connection doesn't work... until I run a network diagnostic, which magically makes it connect. I'd really rather not have to run a diagnostic every... single... time... I turn on my computer, so does someone know what I can do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 8:35 PM

7 replies

Aug 12, 2013 12:24 PM in response to beachdude42

Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.4 or later, run Wireless Diagnostics and take the remedial steps suggested in the summary that appears, if any. The program also generates a large file of information about your system, which would be used by Apple Engineering in case of a support incident. Don't post the contents here.

Step 3

If you're not using a wireless keyboard or trackpad, disable Bluetooth by selecting Turn Bluetooth Off from the menu with the Bluetooth icon. If you don't have that menu, open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check the box marked Show Bluetooth in menu bar. Test. Continue if you find that Wi-Fi is faster with Bluetooth disabled.

From that same menu, select Open Bluetooth Preferences. If the box labeled Discoverable is checked, uncheck it. Click the Advanced button, and in the sheet that opens, uncheck the top three boxes, if any are checked. Click OK. Enable Bluetooth and test again.

If the application called "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" is running, quit it.

Step 4

This step will erase all your settings in the Network preference pane. Make a note of them before you begin, and recreate them afterwards. It may be helpful to take screenshots of the preference pane.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "SystemConfiguration" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 5

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Aug 15, 2013 7:31 AM in response to beachdude42

I recently upgraded my internet to fiber optic since then I ve been having problems with my MacBookPro it crashes at each time I start the computer, I m 100% sure that its not the Wi-Fi problem because every other device including Mac Air connected no problems. I tried all suggestion here it works for a short while then crashes again.

Any help is much appreciated.

Nov 18, 2013 12:31 PM in response to beachdude42

I was having this issue also and after hours of reading forums seem to have found the solution.

After a period of using the internet I would find that my connection would either drop and I would get the error

ALERT: No Internet Connection

or

the internet would simily hang and not load the page, the only way around this was to disconnect from wifi and reconnect.

I found that this was being caused by the Energy Saver. My settings had been for computer and display to sleep after 15 mins. I changed this to Never and 3 hrs respectively and so far the issue seems to be resolved.

I have no idea why the Energy Saver would cause the internet to drop but this seems to have fixed the issue for me anyway. Hope that this helps.

Alert: No Internet Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.