Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express is not detected after set up

Using Windows 7 and 1st gen. aiport express.

I Did a hard reset of the AE and it shows up on my wifi list and in airport utility 5.6.1 - Apple Network 2480b5. So far so good.

Went through the set up, chose to join my existing network, wpa2 and added the password. After the utility did a reset of the AE the message I got was that the utility was unable to find the AE and it didn't show up in my list of available wifi list. Tried the set up few times and always the same problem. I tried using the AE after a hard reset without setting it up with the utility, and I was able to swtich my wifi to Apple Network 2480b5 and managed to get it to stream music to my stereo.

Does anyone know what might be the problem with the AE not getting detected after setting it up using the utility?

Thanks

Windows 7

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 8:35 PM

1 reply

Aug 10, 2013 9:12 PM in response to RRF1

With factory default settings, the Express is producing a wireless network with a name like Apple Network xxxxxx.

You must connect to this network to be able to configure the Express. When you do this, you are no longer connected to your normal wireless network.

If the Express is configured to "join" your normal wireless network correctly, it becomes a member of that network.

But.....AirPort Utility is still trying to connect to Apple Network xxxxxxx....which no longer exists.

Once you see the message that the Express has been configured and is restarting.....close AirPort Utility immediately. it does no good to leave AirPort Utility open and wait for the Express to re-appear.....it won't. It has instead, joined your normal wireless network at this point.

Wait for a green light on the Express, then make sure that you are connected to your normal network again....and you will now "see" the AirPort Express if you open AirPort Utility.

Airport express is not detected after set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.