Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a deactivated iPhone 4 as a camera and download a few camera enhancement apps through wifi? Would like camera for my young neice.

Can I use a deactivated iPhone 4 as a camera and download a few camera enhancement apps through wifi? Would like the camera for my young neice.

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 11:05 PM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2014 7:54 AM in response to judysings

I have an old iPhone 3GS sitting around collecting dust. This morning I saw the phone can be re purposed to use for games, camera, etc. According to a forum thread I found, I have to do the following:

1) Insert the SIM card from the new or current phone into the old iPhone

2) Connect the old phone to iTunes on a computer connected to the internet

--->Once iTunes activates the device you're free to use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

I've never used an iPod touch. I want to be able to download a free app (or two) and connect it to my current phone via wifi. Here are my questions:

How do I download an app to the old phone without syncing my library to it?

After the app(s) are installed, do I simply unplug the phone, remove the SIM card and re-insert into my current phone and all is good?

*Notes. I did not upgrade my iPhone 4G software during the last update earlier this year. I have kept up to date with iTunes. My old iPhone is running on software from 4 or 5 years ago.

Nov 6, 2014 8:11 AM in response to gocubs0085

You will be able to download apps over WiFi, however, many apps now require a later version if iOS than the 3 GS supports, so it will be limited in what apps you can have. You can download apps using the App Store app on the phone. You should first go to Settings/iTunes & App Stores and sign in with your iTunes store ID so you won't have to pay for the apps. You can also connect the phone to your computer and download just the apps you want from it. iTunes "knows" about multiple devices and can keep them separate from each other.

The SIM card only needs to be in the phone during activation; after than you can remove it. And the SIM does not need to be currently active. In fact, if the deactivated SIM that it was originally used with is still in the phone that's good enough.

Can I use a deactivated iPhone 4 as a camera and download a few camera enhancement apps through wifi? Would like camera for my young neice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.