Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Aperture 3.4.5 freeze when making a slideshow?

I have tried two methods of creating a slideshow:

1. Using the 'play slideshow' option from the File menu.

2. Using the 'new - slideshow' option from the File menu.

In the first case, Aperture simply freezes. The choice of 'theme' (Classic, Ken Burns, etc) does not come up, and nor can anything be selected from the library inspector. The only option was to use Force Quit.

In the second case, a new slideshow is available at the bottom of the library inspector; however, when dragging and dropping pictures, as soon as I try to look in the slideshow folder, Aperture freezes with the 'loading' message (and rotating circle). No pictures can be seen in the slideshow folder. The only option was to use Force Quit.

In both cases, all the photos are less than 3.5 MB, and there were approximately 50 photos in each folder. No music or video was added.

As an aside, I have tried deleting and reinstalling Aperture, and it has not made any difference.

Grateful for any assistance on creating and playing slideshows.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 12:43 AM

8 replies

Aug 11, 2013 3:45 AM in response to jefffromact

as soon as I try to look in the slideshow folder, Aperture freezes with the 'loading' message (and rotating circle). No pictures can be seen in the slideshow folder. The only option was to use Force Quit.

Are you always trying with the same images, or does it happen with any images you try?

if it only happens, when ecrtain imges are included, remove these images from your library.

If it happens with any image you try, create a new Aperture Library (File > Switch to Library > Other/new) and test, if Aperture can play slideshows using a new library.

Delete the user preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Aperture back to its original settings. This will not impact your image files or your library. To reset your Aperture user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.

Note: The locations of your Aperture libraries are stored in the preference file listed above. If you have stored your library outside the default location of ~/Pictures/Aperture Library, make a note of where the library is before deleting the Aperture preferences file. If you have more than one library, you can bring up a dialog to choose which one to load by pressing Option immediately after you open Aperture.

Post back, if none of this helps.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 11, 2013 5:04 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I followed the procedure above to remove the preferences; however, it has not made any difference to either of the situations I have outlined.

In terms of trying different photos, I have tried images of different size (40KB - 3.5MB), over different dates (2011-2012), and from different cameras (1DSLR (RAW and JPEG) and 2 P&S (JPEG)). Varying the above has made no difference to Aperture freezing or infinitely displaying the 'loading' message (I waited at least 5 mins for two different photos to be dragged into the slideshow folder and nothing happened).

Thanks again for the suggestion, and am happy to try something else...

Aug 11, 2013 2:43 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

I have created the test library using a single photo.

I am able to create slideshows using the two methods I described above (using the 'play slideshow' and 'new slideshow' in the File menu). While I could create the slideshows, it took a approximately 60 seconds to load the single photo in the slideshow.

Does this sound repairable?

Jeff

Aug 11, 2013 3:05 PM in response to jefffromact

Jeff,

in that case I think your prolem is your main Aperture library.

Either you have imported corrupted media (video, image files) or the library needs repairing. I'd start with the Aperture Library First Aid Tools, all in turn, repairing permissions, database, and if necessary, repairing the library.

See this link for detail: Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

Before Rebuilding, check, if the backup of your Aperture library is current, otherwise update it it first.

Repairing and Rebuilding may take quite a while for a large library. Let it run over night.

Regards

Léonie

Why does Aperture 3.4.5 freeze when making a slideshow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.