Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV3 HDCP not working with Samsung LCD

I just bought a ATV3 from my local official apple retail store yesterday. Connected to my 2009 Samsung LCD which is HDCP compatible. I have two HDMI-cables, one bought from an apple retailer. I have now the latest firmware upgrade on my TV, and on my ATV. Still I get the "your connection doesnt support HDCP" -error message.

Ive tried turning off and on atv and tv, to try and establish HDCP handshake as described around the web, to no avail.

I guess theres no point asking apple support for help, as the only thing they would say is "get a new cable/tv", which im not going to do.

Anyone had the same issue from the start, who figured it out eventually? Could it be that LCDs from 2009 is not compatible with atv 3rd gen?

Dan

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 3:15 AM

7 replies

Aug 11, 2013 3:50 AM in response to defmc

There were HDCP issues with some Samsung TVs a few years ago - look at the 'More Like This' links on the right.

Send feedback to Apple quoting your TV's model number:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

It is deinitely worth trying a different HDMI cable even if it works with other devices - AppleTV is one of the fussiest devices for HDMI judging on comments here over the years. Also try a different HDMI input if the TV has one, pray to the gods and cross your fingers too!

Aug 11, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Im pretty sure switching cables has nothing to do with it.

The unit works with my friends LG plasma (same HDMI cable), so i guess either my Samsung TV is broken, or Apple needs to do something to make it compatible with my model.

Anyone knows if there is a way to test if HDCP is working? Any other unit that is using HDCP that i could test? I guess connecting from a laptop has nothing to do with HDCP..?

Aug 11, 2013 2:58 PM in response to defmc

defmc wrote:

Im pretty sure switching cables has nothing to do with it.

Usually not but if you have access to another try it.

Based on posts here over the years, AppleTV (all generations) is incredibly fussy with HDMI, and even if a cable works with DVD/BluRay/cable box etc occasionally it won't for AppleTV and a different one does.

AC

Aug 11, 2013 3:16 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Sure, but like i said, i tried my unit on my friends tv with the same cable - and it worked. So in my case, not the cable that is the issue. Ive also tried switching power outlets. So im pretty sure its either something wrong with how my tv handles HDCP, or that Apple needs to fix something so that my model gets compatible. Will find out when i get to test my tv with other HDCP devices.

Its just that its so frustrating that something like this should be this hard. Movie buisness really makes it even harder for people not to download illegally when the right way is so complicated, in my case; not even possible. Ironic.

Still love apple though :)

Aug 11, 2013 3:38 PM in response to defmc

defmc wrote:

Sure, but like i said, i tried my unit on my friends tv with the same cable - and it worked. So in my case, not the cable that is the issue. Ive also tried switching power outlets. So im pretty sure its either something wrong with how my tv handles HDCP, or that Apple needs to fix something so that my model gets compatible. Will find out when i get to test my tv with other HDCP devices.

Its just that its so frustrating that something like this should be this hard. Movie buisness really makes it even harder for people not to download illegally when the right way is so complicated, in my case; not even possible. Ironic.

I would still personally try another HDMI cable or socket on the TV as unlikely as it may seem.

My money would be on AppleTV being fussy, but there were issues with some Samsung sets (however other devices worked ok, so is it Apple being overzealous enforcing HDCP compatibility?).

Agree entirely about the movie companies making things hard and pushing people away from legal downloads.

AC

Nov 28, 2013 6:20 AM in response to defmc

Same **** here. I have a Samsung 46" full hd LCD in their 7series (glasdesign) and it specificated to support hdcp. And no-one could explain why my ATV suddenly screams about HDCP- error. Hey... It was running fine for almost 6 month, under the same conditions, and i have not change anything in my setup. Tried everything. Updated all of my units, reebot the system, changing the res, change and checked different inputs (3 hdmi in the back, and 1 on the side), tested different highspeed-cables.

I borrowed another ATV3 from a friend and it worked (even if the units have exactly the same firmware), so with this experience I was able to get a new one from Apple. Guess what... A couple of seconds an then... HDCP-error again.

After some research, and talking to people with experience, i started to get tired, and I was returning my atv to the syore, and get my money back. Tired of hearing experts say "strange" I managed to forget abot Jobs Atv. Until yesterday...

My wife ordered an subscription from swedish Canal Digital, and as i hooked upp the satelite-receiver, it's the same story... HDCP again...

How does it come that it working fine here with my bluray, playstation and xbox? And hey... It worked for almost half a year?!?

#drivingmemad

ATV3 HDCP not working with Samsung LCD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.