Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook or iMac...

Hey everyone,

I think the title of this is misleading but it's the best way I could explain it, so here goes...

So, in the future I'm definitely staying with my Apple products as my MacBook Pro has been the best thing ever. However, I'm thinking to myself what happens to my iPhoto events, picture information, locations I have organised? Also my iTunes library, all of my videos / movies? Music? Books... etc. Some were downloaded from the iTunes Store so will be 'in the cloud' and some movies were ripped off current DVD's I have bought and converted to MP4. Can anyone shed any light on this method you use when purchasing a 'new' product whether its iMac or a Macbook? I've backed all my stuff up to a hard drive and a seperate back up of the whole 'iTunes Media' file... Do you just plug in your hard drive and it takes / rips everything from that hard drive backup and puts it onto the 'new' product or would I have to organise everyhting all over again? Or, once I sign into the iTunes store on my 'new product' would all my songs, movies, books be there?

It's quite a rubbish question I know but I'm thinking I have so many songs in my iTunes library and use it to its fullist.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:48 AM

Hi DJB23,

If you have questions about migrating your files and settings from your current Mac to a potential new Mac, you may find the following article helpful:

Apple Support: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

Cheers,

- Brenden

2 replies

New Macbook or iMac...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.