Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone help me remove a status item from my task bar?

I have a status item for a program called "Disk Drill Pro" that keeps coming up when I reboot. I deleted the program using "MacKeeper" and it appears to have completely deleted all the files, but it keeps coming up (see image). I went to the system preferences and found a suspicious startup item, right-clicked and had it show it to me in finder. It was in a folder in the library that had to do with "ArcSoft" and seemed to be related Disk Drill so I deleted the folder. The icon still comes up after rebooting. Please help!

User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 7:47 AM

While the debate of the utility of MacKeeper is up for grabs, it's really a side issue to the question at hand. Disk Drill is a disk management tool, that has a couple of background services for monitoring your drive's health, which appear to still be launching.

The Disk Drill program itself has a built-in uninstaller, and it is recommended to use these or other developer-supported means for removal. Tools like MacKeeper that attempt to unroot the program's installation may miss components and leave you with a half-done job, so are only recommended as a last resort (if that, by some folks' standards).

For the problem at hand, open the following directories on your system and search for a file by the name "com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist":

Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchAgents

Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchDaemons

If you find the file, move it to the trash.

Next, remove the scripts and programs that this file points to, by removing the folder called "CleverFiles" which is in the following directory:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support

When you have performed these steps, restart your system and see if the menu item continues to show in the menu bar.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Sasnakfan

While the debate of the utility of MacKeeper is up for grabs, it's really a side issue to the question at hand. Disk Drill is a disk management tool, that has a couple of background services for monitoring your drive's health, which appear to still be launching.

The Disk Drill program itself has a built-in uninstaller, and it is recommended to use these or other developer-supported means for removal. Tools like MacKeeper that attempt to unroot the program's installation may miss components and leave you with a half-done job, so are only recommended as a last resort (if that, by some folks' standards).

For the problem at hand, open the following directories on your system and search for a file by the name "com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist":

Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchAgents

Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchDaemons

If you find the file, move it to the trash.

Next, remove the scripts and programs that this file points to, by removing the folder called "CleverFiles" which is in the following directory:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support

When you have performed these steps, restart your system and see if the menu item continues to show in the menu bar.

Can someone help me remove a status item from my task bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.