Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7 and power macs incompatibility

Hi there

Today I heard ios7 is not compatible with the top version of iTunes you can install in leopard 10.5.8

Does somebody know if Apple will support US somehow, or if the company is going to keep pushing us, the ppc users, further as they have been doing the last years

I can't believe that they can give a better treat to Windows users for free, than old Mac users with thousands dollars machines that went to Apple someday

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 2,5 Quad

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 9:41 AM

39 replies

Aug 11, 2013 9:45 AM in response to rafaelfromsan fernando

We don't know if Apple will support PowerPC-based Macs with devices with iOS 7 yet, as it has not been released. However, you should know that the 4th generation iPad, the iPad mini, the 5th generation iPod touch and the iPhone 5 are not compatible with PowerPC-based Macs, as they require iTunes 10.7 or newer and the latest iTunes version for these computers is iTunes 10.6.3.

PowerPC-based Macs were discontinued 8 years ago, and Apple has been dropping support for them, starting in Snow Leopard (PowerPC-based Macs are not compatible with it) and continuing it in Lion (PowerPC apps don't run anymore). Now, everything is Intel in Macs and PowerPC Macs are still good computers but outdated and with a very outdated processor

Aug 11, 2013 10:03 AM in response to mende1

A ver, mende, tu eres de Toledo y nos podemos entender bien. Tengo un 4s y un g5quad que suman unos 5000 pavos que se ha llevado Apple de mi bolsillo, (sin contar los ipods, un g5 dual, un eMac g4, y la multitud de periféricos Apple que he adquirido con el paso de los años) ¿tu crees que es normal darle soporte gratuitamente a un tío con un pentium 2 que no aporta beneficios a la compañía y dejar tirados a usuarios como yo (que no somos 4)?

A mi no me parece muy normal, porque veo el nuevo Mac Pro y me digo: "¿para qué me voy a comprar esa maravilla, si en 5 años no me va a valer porque la compañía me dará de lado? (Porque seguirá siendo un bicharraco, como lo sigue siendo hoy el g5 quad)

Aug 11, 2013 10:16 AM in response to rafaelfromsan fernando

El cambio de PowerPC a Intel fue muy grande, y todos sabíamos que iban a ser discontinuados a no mucho tardar. A eso se le suma un problema que tuvo Apple con Mac OS X Leopard y que muchos usuarios de PowerPC Macs ignoran: la fragmentación.

Hasta donde sé, Leopard fue una basura en los Mac con procesadores Intel. ¿La razón? Los archivos PowerPC: inútiles, consumían RAM y CPU, y tomaban mucho espacio. Ese problema desapareció con Snow Leopard por la eliminación de todos los archivos PowerPC, limitando su compatibilidad a Rosetta, que permitía abrir aplicaciones PowerPC en Macs con Intel.

Por muy buenos que fueran los Macs con PowerPC (el procesador de su Power Mac puede ser comparado con un Intel sin ningún problema), había que quitar el soporte para ellos, y se hizo poco a poco, con el tiempo suficiente para que los usuarios con PowerPC tuvieran tiempo para migrar.

Para mí, el caso de iTunes es perfecto. En la versión para Windows, Apple tiene una versión para 32 bits y otra para 64 bits. En OS X, si todo continuara como quiere, debería existir una versión de iTunes para PowerPC, 32 bits y 64 bits, además de compatibilidad para 5 versiones de OS X diferentes y teniendo en cuenta que la interfaz debería ser diferente. Es un monstruo y la aplicación no se podría ni utilizar.

En el caso de los Intel, vamos a tomar la compatibilidad de OS X Mavericks, que tiene el corte en los Macs con EFI de 64 bits. Esto incluye a iMacs de finales del 2007 o superiores, o Macs Pro de principios del 2008 o superiores. Este corte fue por razones técnicas (OS X Mountain Lion y Mavericks son completamente 64 bits), así que yo no encuentro ninguna razón para pensar que el nuevo Mac Pro le puede durar sólo 5 años, aunque entiendo que esté enfadado

Aug 14, 2013 9:06 AM in response to rafaelfromsan fernando

There are people still running Mac OS 9, and even System 6. Upgrade what you need, but don't upgrade what you don't need, and research what you upgrade once software has released. Apple rarely if ever pre-announces all the details you need to know. The question is, what software is it in the newer operating system you need that you can't find elsewhere to do the same tasks? If you can't, ask around. There are bound to be several answers.

Aug 14, 2013 5:01 PM in response to a brody

I don't want to run snow leopard or higher in my quad (I accept that the code for Intel does not run on it) I know that developer tools are not compatible with the ppc programing, that's the major reason why applications like adobe's cs5, for example, can't run on a ppc machine; the code is not written for it from the beginning. I'll be in Cs4, it doesn't matter much to me...

But, I have an iPhone 4S which runs ios7 and it is not obsolete; my question is simple. Is it so difficult to make an update to iTunes 10 (not 11, I don't want it) to make me able to change my music?

It's not a matter of hardware, I'm sure of it

Sep 25, 2013 9:07 PM in response to rafaelfromsan fernando

rafaelfromsan fernando wrote:

I can't believe that they can give a better treat to Windows users for free, than old Mac users with thousands dollars machines that went to Apple someday

Well, even PC users may have some old hardware issues with running the lastest Windows versions as well, but you do make a good point.

I wonder if anyone has figured out how to run the Qemu or attesor Intel emulator on a PPC Mac combined with a darWINE implementation to run the latest Windows version of iTunes on a PPC Mac? Qemu development seemed to die off once Intel Macs came around. And, of course, via emulation the performance would be terrible, but with the WINE implementation you are just running a single application via Windows libraries, not the entire Windows OS. Just throwing that wild and crazy idea out there. I know of some people who successfully ran a Windows .exe on a PPC Mac using Qmu/WINE, a long time ago and it was a simple program, but in theory ...

Sep 26, 2013 9:22 AM in response to a brody

Great! a brody

One of the reasons I chose the iPad 2 was because it still had a 30 pin connector that I could use with my attachments from the earlier iPad 1

I have written to David Pogue at the New York Times and he replied that he would pass along the information.

I don't understand why Apple can't get on it and change the information on their page.

Sep 26, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Allan Sorensen

I think the main confusion is that there are iPad 2nd generations sold with iOS 6 or later which can't run with the iTunes for 10.5.8. The question whether you can downgrade to an older iOS once iOS 6 is installed is something I don't know the answer to. Be sure if you do purchase an older iPad, it is one with the older iOS if you depend on PowerPC compatibility.

IOS 7 and power macs incompatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.