Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No SATA drive after booting into Windows (BootCamp 5.0)

One of my DVD burners has failed in one of my 2008 Apple Mac Pro's. I pulled the drive out (it was PATA/IDE) and replaced with a new LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Burner. I had to pull the fan out (temporarily) and run a new 24" SATA cable (with right-angle connector) from one of the two extra SATA ports (on the motherboard) to the new actual SATA drive, and also install a MOLEX to SATA power connector.

I managed to get the drive installed (and working). I now at least have a Blu-Ray burner in my 2008 Apple Mac Pro (with OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion).

The problem seems to be with when I boot directly into Windows 8. When I boot into Windows 8, the two ports on the motherboard are disabled and the latest BootCamp 5.0 drivers don't seem to support the two SATA ports on the motherboard (they seem to be disabled). So when I boot directly into Windows, my LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive disappears.

I really wish Apple would have just "done things right" from the very beginning and took the time to write decent BootCamp 5.0 drivers that supported the two SATA ports on the motherboard, so that users who need to replace their old/dying/aging PATA drives could easily replace them with SATA drives and use the two SATA ports on the motherboard.

Also it would have been nice if Apple would have taken the time to write good BootCamp 5 drivers (for Windows 8) that support booting from the two SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro motherboard.

I've heard of many people that have tried installing RAID Controller Cards (from OWC) in their 2008 Apple Mac Pro to upgrade their four hard drive caddys from SATA II (3Gbps) to SATA III (6Gbps) but unfortunately the RAID Controller Cards don't seem to be bootable and the only option is to install a fifth (bootable) hard drive into the Apple Mac Pro and this is normally done by installing a bootable SSD drive into one of the DVD-drive bays. Unfortunately if you use a SATA SSD drive (which most SSD's are SATA) and then use one of the two SATA ports on the motherboard to connect it, then you go back to having the problem of not having a boot drive when you boot directly into Windows 8 (since there are no BootCamp 5 drivers for the 2008 Apple Mac Pro that support the two SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro motherboard).

This seems to be a never-ending problem, and we have twelve 2008 Apple Mac Pro's (along with an office full of 2008/2009/2010/2013 Apple Mac Pro's) and we're getting extremely frustrated with Apple's lack of support in BootCamp 5.0 drivers for the 2008 Apple Mac Pro (and the two SATA ports on the mainboard).

Please fix this problem, and please update the BootCamp 5.0/5.1 drivers (for 2008 Apple Mac Pro users) and please support the two SATA ports on the Apple Mac Pro mainboard, and please make those two SATA ports on the motherboard bootable and usable in both Microsoft Windows 8 and in OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion. Please update the BootCamp 5.0 drivers to support the two onboard SATA ports in Windows 8 (so that my Blu-Ray burner is viewable/usable in Windows 8).

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 12:27 PM

I'm extremely disappointed that Apple neglects their Apple Mac Pro users/buyers. This seems to be a problem that has been dating all the way back to 2008-era, and Apple still has not fixed the problem.

Here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1394482?answerId=6604426022#6604426022

I would have expected during the past 4-5 years that Apple would have at least took the time to release updated BootCamp drivers to support the two onboard SATA ports, so that 2008 Apple Mac Pro users could at least use (and boot from) SATA devices using the two onboard SATA ports in OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion and Windows 8.

It's rediculous that we can't even use (or boot from) a modern Blu-Ray burner (SATA) in the Apple Mac Pro.

Apple, please release updated BootCamp 5.x drivers that support the two SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro motherboard, so that users can at least use their SATA devices in Windows. We've been waiting for years for Apple to FIX the problems with the Apple Mac Pro and I'm really disappointed in the lack of support Apple has given its users.

This is a critical need, please take the time to write the updated BootCamp 5.x drivers and please support your Apple Mac Pro users.

It's not rocket science and it's not that hard to write/update the latest BootCamp 5.0 drivers to support the 2008 Apple Mac Pro and support the two onboard SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro so that users can use those two SATA ports in both the latest OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion / OS X 10.9 Mavericks and also in Windows 8 (using the latest updated BootCamp 5.x drivers). Please release new updated BootCamp 5.x drivers for 2008 Apple Mac Pro users that support the two onboard SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2013 12:27 PM in response to nextech

I'm extremely disappointed that Apple neglects their Apple Mac Pro users/buyers. This seems to be a problem that has been dating all the way back to 2008-era, and Apple still has not fixed the problem.

Here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1394482?answerId=6604426022#6604426022

I would have expected during the past 4-5 years that Apple would have at least took the time to release updated BootCamp drivers to support the two onboard SATA ports, so that 2008 Apple Mac Pro users could at least use (and boot from) SATA devices using the two onboard SATA ports in OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion and Windows 8.

It's rediculous that we can't even use (or boot from) a modern Blu-Ray burner (SATA) in the Apple Mac Pro.

Apple, please release updated BootCamp 5.x drivers that support the two SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro motherboard, so that users can at least use their SATA devices in Windows. We've been waiting for years for Apple to FIX the problems with the Apple Mac Pro and I'm really disappointed in the lack of support Apple has given its users.

This is a critical need, please take the time to write the updated BootCamp 5.x drivers and please support your Apple Mac Pro users.

It's not rocket science and it's not that hard to write/update the latest BootCamp 5.0 drivers to support the 2008 Apple Mac Pro and support the two onboard SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro so that users can use those two SATA ports in both the latest OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion / OS X 10.9 Mavericks and also in Windows 8 (using the latest updated BootCamp 5.x drivers). Please release new updated BootCamp 5.x drivers for 2008 Apple Mac Pro users that support the two onboard SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro.

Aug 11, 2013 12:34 PM in response to nextech

I do not speak for Apple on this, or any issue.

In my opinion, the only reason for including the two ODD ports was as a hedge against SATA DVD Readers becoming far cheaper and or IDE/ATA DVD Readers becoming Hard-to-get. Apple gave you two IDE/ATA ports for Optical Drives, and I expect they do not feel the slightest bit compelled to make those "backup" ODD ports available in Windoze.

Apple does not promise to read these posts, and unless your query goes unanswered for days, never responds here. If you want to tell them what you think about any product and current of future features, use feedback links:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 11, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The Mac Pro is based on Intel prototype of a dual Xeon motherboard "skulltrail" that was engineering protype dating back to mid-2005 which might have something to do with it too. You could ask why SAS or Intel hardware RAID wasn't included too (and get around that awful Apple "Pro" RAID $999 card as well)

Or why Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 does not show up as AHCI SATA in Windows I think is another Windows related issue.

Or you might see that the 3,1 while early and first 64-bit EFI is not UEFI compliant for Windows 8.1.

Intel S5000XVN workstation motherboard sometimes referred to as a Skulltrail platform for workstations as opposed to same board but could alsos be configured for servers too.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/server/s5000xvn

All S5000 based server boards provide SATA 3Gbps support (imsm driver) and SAS models also provide SAS/SATA 3Gbps support (mpt driver) for JBOD (native mode, no RAID). The SATA support is provided through the ESB component of the S5000 chipset.

All S5000 based server boards provide optional Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II (0,1,10) for SATA drives enabled through a BIOS setting. SATA support was first enabled in BIOS 54, use the Mass Storage setting "Enable SATA as RAID". Drivers (ESRT2) are updated frequently on support.intel.com.

SAS models provide optional Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II (0,1,10) for SAS or SATA drives enabled through a BIOS setting. SAS RAID requires BIOS 59 or later. Use the SAS BIOS page to enable SAS OpROM. Drivers (ESRT2) are updated frequently on support.intel.com.

Aug 11, 2013 1:43 PM in response to The hatter

It just seems sad that Apple decided not to develop OS X drivers (and choose to NOT implement the Intel drivers into their latest BootCamp 5.0 driver releases) so that Apple Mac Pro users could at least utilize these ports in both Windows 8 and OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion (or 10.9.x Mavericks).

4-5 years have gone by, and I can count hundreds of thousands of posts on numerous forums, and I'm just extremely bothered by the fact that Apple couldn't take the time to work with Intel and just implement the drivers into the latest BootCamp 5.x release so that 2008 Apple Mac Pro users could finally use the two onboard SATA ports for adding two new SATA Blu-Ray burners that would be recognized in both Windows 8 and OS X Mountain Lion.

Do you happen to know of any third-party (Intel?) drivers that could be used in Windows 8 to support the two onboard SATA ports, so that two SATA Blu-Ray drives could be used in Windows 8? (using the onboard SATA ports).

I've been scouring the internet for the past 4-5 years and still can't seem to find a fix. I really wish that Apple would take the time to support their Apple Mac Pro users, and just take the time to write the drivers necessary (or get/use/modify existing Intel drivers) and implement those drivers into an updated BootCamp 5.x release, so that users could use both onboard SATA ports on their 2008 Apple Mac Pro (3,1).

That way users with old/failing PATA drives could finally just purchase two 24" SATA cables (with right-angle connectors) and just purchase a MOLEX to SATA power connector and use two new SATA Blu-Ray burners in a 2008 Apple Mac Pro.

I have the SATA Blu-Ray drives working inside my 2008 Apple Mac Pro, and managed to get the BootCamp 5.0 drivers running on my 2008 Apple Mac Pro (under Windows 8), but I still don't have any BootCamp 5.x drivers that will support the two onboard SATA ports in Windows 8.

I really wish that Apple would just take the time to write the drivers and update the BootCamp 5.x drivers to officially support the 2008 Apple Mac Pro (3,1) with added support for the two onboard SATA ports (in Windows 8) so that users could finally use the two SATA ports in both OS X and Windows on their 2008 Apple Mac Pro.

Oct 26, 2013 4:19 AM in response to nextech

I agree completely, Apple needs to support their flagship products more than a few years.

Thousands of dollars for a 2008 Mac Pro and it's end of life according to Apple is 3 or 4 years! I have personally purchased well over a dozen PC's, supported hundreds of PC's at work, over 25 years of using PC's and this is the first time that drivers were not available for a current operating system on a PC that was only a few years old.

I understand your frustration and I only have one Mac Pro, can't imagine having twelve at $3000 and up!.

For one of the largest company's in the world they sure have one of the worst warrantys and support services.

The only saving grace to me is I am not a devoted OSX user, I run Windows 8 99.99999999999999999% of the time and when this Mac Pro is dead, I will just go back to a real PC and leave the roughten Apple on the vine for someone else to pick.

Oct 26, 2013 6:33 AM in response to 78c3sam

The 2008 will be 6 yrs old come January.

My 2006 still works, even better, limited by PCIe 1.x and EFI32 and won't support 64-bit kernel mode.

64-bit Windows requires UEFI (EFI64) for Vista SP1 and above on 64-bit - and the 1,1 was 'designed' back in June 2005 so it now 8 yrs.

We use to 'assume' 5 yrs support for a Mac from some statements and more reading between the lines.

So 5-6 yrs for EArly 2008 3,1 does reach that milestone.

Oct 26, 2013 1:26 PM in response to The hatter

very difficult to understand what your talking about, maybe use whole words?

As for not being able to run Windows 8 on a early 2008 Mac Pro, I am doing that and have been running 8 since February 2013 without any issues.

My beif in case you missed it, is the same as the original poster, Apple dropped driver development for Bootcamp support on the 2008 Mac Pros and that is the simple fact.

It probably is a financial choice for Apple, the faster they can end support on any of their products I.E. computers, phones, ipods, etc... the sooner the Apple cult of Zombies will sit out at their local Apple Store and suck up what ever Apple has to offer.

Oct 26, 2013 2:49 PM in response to 78c3sam

I had typos due to using a tablet, having cataracts but they are whole words, or why say Unified EFI when you can say UEFI.

I detest Apple lack of support and drivers and closed ecosystem and their toys too.

Apple and Lion and apple decisions said I could only use 32-bit OS which meant I could only use 1.9GB RAM, less than even on a PC due to EFI32.

And Windows does not crank up fans to match temperature. Lot of issues. Porting iOS into Maverick?

I was just trying to help. I use Windows 8.1 99% now.

Most other mac models, like MBP and iMac do have a lot more issues with Windows 8 and 8.1, the Mac Pro is closer to a PC desktop.

Oct 27, 2013 4:14 AM in response to The hatter

I use text to speach software to access my PC, when anyone uses short forms it becomes difficult to understand the meaning. I myself have an eye issue so I have to use text to speach software.

I only found out about the lack of support for the 2008 Mac Pro when I stumbled across the Bootcamp 5 update and wanted to load it. I am using bootcamp 4 drivers with Windows 8 and thought I would upgrade but hesitated, then I came across this posting and was glad I did not try and do it.

I have three HD's, 1, OSX mountain lion, 2 windows 7 pro 64, 3, windows 8 pro 64.

I Pretty much only use windows 8 now, had I updated my drivers, I guess I would have lost my 3rd HD with Win 8.

Oct 31, 2013 1:47 AM in response to The hatter

Hatter,

Can you please stop hijacking my thread. The point is, Apple dropped the ball and refuses to develop Bootcamp 5.0 drivers for the 2008 Apple Mac Pro that support the two onboard SATA ports.

It's difficult to find Blu-Ray drives that are PATA, and I have installed a brand new SATA Blu-Ray burner in my 2008 Apple Mac Pro (using the onboard SATA ports).

The problem is, I just need the Windows/Bootcamp Drivers to make the two onboard SATA ports usable.

> Also it would have been nice if Apple would have taken the time to write

> good BootCamp 5 drivers (for Windows 8) that support booting from the

> two SATA ports on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro motherboard.

Oct 31, 2013 2:42 AM in response to nextech

Just as a follow-up, yes it does seem to be possible to get both SATA ports on a 2008 Apple Mac Pro working (in Windows 8).

You need to enable AHCI in Windows 8.

First boot into Windows 8 and then go into the windows registry (regedit) and enable AHCI in your registry.

You can do this by going to the following registry key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci

Set the "Start" Value data to "0" (to enable AHCI in Windows).

After AHCI is enabled in Windows, then reboot your computer and now the SATA drive (connected to the ODD port) should appear in Windows (under devices).

Now the next step is to update your AHCI drivers (in Windows) to the latest Intel drivers, so that your SATA device will actually work (and work properly).

The latest Intel RST drivers can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=2306 0&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=In tel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

Download the 64-bit drivers (if you are running 64-bit Windows).

After you install the latest drivers, and perform a reboot, your SATA drive should now work under windows.

You can find a long detailed thread about enabling AHCI (in Windows 7) here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760482

The thread listed above is a bit old/dated (2009?) but it does give detailed step-by-step instructions for those that want to enable AHCI (and get those two onboard SATA ports working in Windows 8 or Windows 7).

I managed to get everything working in Windows 8, and I was able to enable AHCI in Windows 8, installed the latest AHCI drivers and I'm now able to use my SATA Blu-Ray burner in my 2008 Apple Mac Pro.

Hope this helps!

-> Mark

Oct 31, 2013 6:22 AM in response to nextech

Apple is not listening. You missed all the old threads about AHCI support. Windows on a Mac is not as easy or as good and logical as on a PC. Blame it on Intel SkullTrail and SkullTrail II motherboard, Apple's implemention of its EFI. And I never see Apple "go back" and work to improve older computers - and it would take firmware. Even Intel does not support this board any more.

The best thread though on the subject, if you want instead of lashing or ranting:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18094893&highlight=ahci+sata+window s#post18094893

No SATA drive after booting into Windows (BootCamp 5.0)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.