7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 2:39 PM by tonefox
ashimota25 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I am trying to update my iOS on my iPad 2. I connected to a MacBook, synced the two, and tried updating the iOS. Instead this message popped up,

"The iPad software update server could not be contacted. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

I went online and my network connection is fine, so why can't I update my iPad's iOS?

Thank you for your help!

iPad 2
  • wuzradioman Level 4 Level 4 (2,125 points)

The iPad 2 has an internal iOS software update feature. You do not connect it to a computer as you do with older iPads.

To access software update on you iPad 2. Tap the settings icon/ Tap General/ Tap Software Update. The latest software update is 6.1.3.

• tonefox Level 6 Level 6 (8,855 points)

The ability of an "over the air" update of the iOS only becomes available if the device is running iOS 5 or better. Nothing is magic about the iPad 2. If the original poster does not have iOS 5, the iPad has to be cabled to a computer running iTunes in order to update the iOS.

• wuzradioman Level 4 Level 4 (2,125 points)

tonefox,

Thanks for the heads up. Agree with you, but didn't think anyone with an iPad 2 would be running anything less than FIVE OH.  Live and learn.

I know what you mean. I cannot understand why anybody runs any device with anything less than the most up to date OS.

• Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (47,165 points)

Or maybe one update rev down, anything else is silly or lazy unless forced to because of hardware.

Allan

• ashimota25 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for all your help, but I am connecting it to a computer that has iTunes and the message that I entered above pops up. I do not have iOS 5 updated on it, and I am trying to use it with the newest iOS but cannot.

I want to run my iPad with the most up-to-date iOS but cannot, so could someone help me out how to do this. I connected it to iTunes and the message:

"The iPad software update server could not be contacted. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

popped up so threfore I was unable to update the iPad. Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem as my network connection is working just fine.

Thanks!

There is, of course, the possibility that the update server is having problems, and you should try again later.