Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 on rMBP not recognizing Retina display (or Thunderbolt monitor)

I just installed Windows 7 on a mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro via Boot Camp. I used an OEM installer disk from Microsoft.

Windows isn't allowing me to set the monitor to the laptop's native resolution of 2880x1800.

When I open up the Windows monitor settings control panel, the maximum resolution it offers is 1600x1200...User uploaded file

I have Apple's Boot Camp support software 5.0.5033 which I downloaded from http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents.

I tried navigating in Windows Explorer to the NVIDIA driver installer within that download and manually installing it, but I got an error message saying "NVIDIA installer failed" with no further information...

User uploaded file

I also have an Apple Thunderbolt display which I tried connecting to the MBP, and the computer doesn't show the second monitor as an option in any control panel and the monitor is not detected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 7:18 PM

4 replies

Aug 14, 2013 6:49 AM in response to ebdb

Hi there ebdb!

I have an article here for you that might be able to help you with this issue:

MacBook Pro: Frequently asked questions about using a Retina display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5266

Specifically, it seems that this section at the end of that article may have some helpful information for dealing with this:

Are Windows 7 and 8 using Boot Camp supported on the Retina display?
Yes. You will need to download and install the Windows Support Software using the Boot Camp Assistant to use the Retina display with Windows 7 and 8. For more information see the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide.

Windows 7 starts up with a lot of space and small icons. Is this normal?
Yes. Using the Apple-supplied Windows Support Software, Windows starts up with the maximum dpi (pixels) it supports (144 dpi, or 150% magnification). This can be adjusted using the Windows Display Control Panel.

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

Aug 14, 2013 7:44 AM in response to braden85

Left off disable quick boot feature that does not allow Thunderbolt devices to be seen.

Boot Camp: Thunderbolt devices not recognized after Windows 8 upgrade

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4531?

This more thorough FAQ

Thunderbolt ports and displays:

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219

Install the Boot Camp drivers but then go to Nvidia and get the mobility driver for your OS and device, Apple enables the chip and basic driver but not always enough or what you need for full use.

Aug 14, 2013 11:47 AM in response to ebdb

I resolved this.

Posting here in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

Steps to resolve:

- Used Apple Migration Assistant to remove the Boot Camp partition. (Started over with a clean slate.)

- Downloaded a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit .iso from Digital River.

(Previously, I had been using a physical DVD from Microsoft and external drive.)

This forum post has links to those Digital River downloads.

- Ran a Time Machine backup.

- Used Apple Boot Camp Assistant to set up a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drive as a Windows installer using the downloaded .iso from Digital River.

Previously I had tried it with a USB-connected internal hard drive pulled from another computer.

It might actually matter that it needs to be a USB flash drive, and it might need to be USB 3.0.

Anyway, that's what I used this time and it worked.

Also, I plugged it into the USB port on the right side of the computer (as you're facing the computer screen). I don't know, but I've heard that might actually make a difference sometimes.

- Rebooted and ran the Windows installer from the flash drive.

- Followed the Boot Camp instructions as usual.

- There's a step in the installation process where the Windows installer asks which version you want to install and offers four different Windows versions, including "Home Basic" "Home Premium" and two "Pro" versions.

Don't accept the default of Home Basic. Deliberately select Home premium or Pro or Ultimate, or whatever you own a license for.

After that everything worked as advertised and the NVIDIA driver installed fine.

I was able to activate my OEM version of Windows 7 using the product key printed on the Microsoft DVD case I had purchased previously.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

Windows 7 on rMBP not recognizing Retina display (or Thunderbolt monitor)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.