Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it legal for me to create a music remake of an apple loop and make money off it.

Me and my brother made a rock version of one of the apple loops and we were wondering if it was legal to make money off of it by selling it somehow sometime in the future.

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 7:47 PM

7 replies

Aug 12, 2013 1:32 AM in response to TheJonMastu1011

That is one of the exceptions that restrict the use of the loops - better have your lawyer look at this:

Using royalty-free loops in GarageBand with commercial workLearn about the usage of royalty-free loops in GarageBand on commercial songs, multimedia presentations, videos, and animations.

It says:

The GarageBand software license agreement says:

"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So don't worry, you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

The problematic part is the last sentence:

you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 12, 2013 3:46 AM in response to léonie

May I disagree: I think the meaning of the sentence is quite clear: you can't distribute the loops as loops - meaning sell a collection of loops or even one loop for the use in a DAW like GB. If you create a piece of music from a loop and use it as the music of a video, that's perfectly fine - you don't have to be "creative" and add anything. Plus the op says "made a rock version of one of the apple loops" which means it has been altered in some way.

Aug 12, 2013 6:43 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

But look at the first sentence, Christoph.

Me and my brother made a rock version of one of the apple loops

Th OP wants to sell a new version of the loop as loop - and that seems to be problematic to me. Using the loops for something different is fime, but modifying it and selling it as a new loop? That may depend on the amount of change; how much modification will be necessary to make it a new loop?

Adjust the tempo? The volume? The rhythm? That is why I said, "ask your lawyer"; it does not seem to be as simple as using the loop for a different kind of project.

Or do you read the OP's intentions differently?

Is it legal for me to create a music remake of an apple loop and make money off it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.