Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 not displaying correct battery percentage

I have tried shutting the phone off and restarting it, and upon restart it would show the correct percentage but would stay stuck at that percentage.

I have also done three hard resets, the second of which caused my phone to restart itself every two or three minutes.

However, all hard resets yielded the same results (incorrect percentage, reboot, correct percentage but stays stuck there).

FWIW, the phone is not jailbroken.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 8:06 AM

Hello there, LVRobMan.

Sounds like you just need to calibrate the iPhone Battery. That info is provided on the following Knowledge Base article:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Specifically:

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Basically let the phone battery deplete to the point of shutting off, and then charge it back up, without interruption, to 100%.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro D.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2013 8:06 AM in response to LVRobMan

Hello there, LVRobMan.

Sounds like you just need to calibrate the iPhone Battery. That info is provided on the following Knowledge Base article:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Specifically:

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Basically let the phone battery deplete to the point of shutting off, and then charge it back up, without interruption, to 100%.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro D.

Aug 17, 2013 11:30 PM in response to LVRobMan

...Soooo, I thought my problems were gone, but apparently they're here to stay and then some.

After running my phone through two full charge cycles, I thought I'd try charging up my phone before it shut itself off, from like 40% or somewhere around there. It did actually charge all the way up to 100%, but this time around it stopped draining. Uh oh, problems again.

So, I had to go about the usual reboot/hard reset thing to see what my actual battery percentage was. Just like last time, occasionally the phone would reset itself around every 2-3 minutes. After draining the battery (which is much harder than I thought it would be, what with this glitch), I plugged it into my PC to let it charge and to back up the phone. Now, even as the phone is plugged in, it still keeps rebooting itself every 2 minutes. I then disconnected it from the computer to plug it into the wall charger, and the rebooting stopped, but now the battery percentage won't update again! However, the phone does recognize that it's charging, so I guess it'll charge, I just won't know what to capacity.

At this point, a replacement device doesn't seem too bad...

Mar 18, 2014 11:52 AM in response to LVRobMan

I have an iPhone 5 and it's been doing the same thing the battery life gets stuck at random points and the phone will keep turning itself off. If I'm plugged into the wall it won't but if I'm plugged into a computer or car it will restart every few minutes. I have already done a full restore to a new phone but that didn't help also in the diagnostic under settings three are a ton of logs with panic.ips and reset counter if any solution comes available that would be awesome! I currently ordered a new battery to see if that will fix the issue since my phone is to old to be replaced by apple

Mar 18, 2014 12:56 PM in response to John Van Der Kaap

It seems that the battery is damaged. The moment an app uses extra power (e.g. Camera) the Ampère peeps a fraction of a second under a certain minimal … resulting in a shutdown of the iPhone. I decided yesterday to return the iPhone for battery-replacement.

(I resetted the iPhone by pushing the home- and sleepbutton for 15seconds … without result: it did not repair the battery :-))

Mar 27, 2014 7:27 AM in response to ahoff08

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 5 AT&T I took the phone apart to replace the screen which was cracked and then when I try to power on the phone the battery was stuck on the percentage and in every 5 to 3 minutes it will reboot and lines would go in the LCD before it rebooted also it does not detect discharge, if discharged it would power of and I would turn it on manually but it would power of

Diagnostic displays "can't get battery gas value" and temperature value

Apr 9, 2014 11:26 AM in response to juniorhm70

My Iphone 5 is doing the same thing. It was originally my son's. The frame was bent and LCD cracked so I completely disassembled and reassembled into new frame and new LCD. Battery percentage gets stuck at whatever value it is when powered up. Also seems to heat up during phone conversations, heavy use, and will power off often. I have tried the above calibration methods and have purchased two new batteries in an attempt to correct the problem. I have gone to recovery mode and reinstalled several times. All functions seem to work fine, camera, speakers, controls, LCD, etc..... I am begining to think that when the frame was bent it might have damaged the motherboard?? Any thoughts out there, juniorhm70? did you solve your issue?

iPhone 5 not displaying correct battery percentage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.