Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My External Drive Defective?

I'm using an external Seagate HD for Time Machine backups. Occasionally, it would spin for long periods of time and I'd get error messages saying it couldn't backup for various reasons.

While entering Time Machine shows the drive appears to be backing up properly, when I run DIsk Utility to Verify or Repair Disk, I get the following errors:

User uploaded file

The Verify or Repair Disk Permissions are always dimmed and not accessible.

Should I be concerned the drive might be failing?

Thanks!

iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:27 AM

7 replies

Aug 14, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Peter WP

I'm the administrator and Get Info shows I have Read and Write Privileges.

I decided to partition the Time Machine drive with the logic that if there's a future error, I would be able to trace it to either the Time Machine partition and hopefully conclude the fault lies with Time Machine and not the drive itself. If the other partition fails, I might conclude it's the drive itself.

Repartitioning the drive snapped the drive out of its funk, although who knows for how long.

I've got plenty of space on the drive so partitioning it shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks for your time in trying to troubleshoot my problem.

Is My External Drive Defective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.