Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to edit the same RAW file in Aperture 3 and then Photoshop CS5?

I recently got Aperture 3.4.5 and its been great for stream-lining my workflow. But for certain RAW adjustments, like applying a gradient, I want to use Photoshop CS5's RAW editing window. I don't seem to be able to export the file as a modified CR2 from Aperture to Photoshop CS5. Is there a way to do this?

And if exporting a modified CR2 from aperture is not possible, what advice can you give me for applying gradients in aperture, or in combinations with photoshop. Is there a way to open a JPEG or TIFF in the raw editing window by any chance?

Any and all advice welcome. Cheers!

-Mike

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 7:17 AM

I don't seem to be able to export the file as a modified CR2 from Aperture to Photoshop CS5. Is there a way to do this?

Aperture keeps the raw files as the original versions,and never will let it be changed. There is no way to send the raw file to the external editor.

Could you use Photshops raw editor before importing the images into Aperture?

Ot use Aperture's "File > Export > Original" export the original to your Desktop, edit in PS, then reimport the new version? You could use the Lift&Stamp tool to transfer your previous edits and tags to the new version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2013 7:17 AM in response to mikefarny

I don't seem to be able to export the file as a modified CR2 from Aperture to Photoshop CS5. Is there a way to do this?

Aperture keeps the raw files as the original versions,and never will let it be changed. There is no way to send the raw file to the external editor.

Could you use Photshops raw editor before importing the images into Aperture?

Ot use Aperture's "File > Export > Original" export the original to your Desktop, edit in PS, then reimport the new version? You could use the Lift&Stamp tool to transfer your previous edits and tags to the new version.

Aug 12, 2013 11:40 AM in response to mikefarny

Is there a way to open a JPEG or TIFF in the raw editing window by any chance?

If you open Bridge and go into the Camera Raw Preferences, you will see a section at the bottom where you can set preferences for TIFF handling. Setting the option to 'Automatically open all supported TIFFs' will result in any TIFF file sent from Aperture to Photoshop via 'Edit with Photoshop CS5' function being launched in ACR and allow you to work on the TIFF file.

You then have to open the image in Photoshop with the 'Open' button in ACR and save the file (making sure you have the TIFF file extension set when saving). I haven't used this in a while, but I think it may try to save as a '.tif' file which would not be seen by Aperture when you complete the save (and have a '.tif' file sitting in the Masters folder that has no connection).

This is still not the RAW file - obviously - but will allow you to use the ACR tools on the TIFF file generated by Aperture and return it with those edits if saved correctly in PS CS5. 😉

Message was edited by: CorkyO2 for grammatical errors.

Is there a way to edit the same RAW file in Aperture 3 and then Photoshop CS5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.