Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Won't Auto-Detect DNS Servers

Hello,

I've had some serious issues with my internet at my student residence, but I always seem to be able to solve those issues with a few hours of tinkering (nothing majorly technical). But I've realized that no matter where I go now, when I try to connect to a Wifi network (free @ a cafe, school, friends house) my iPhone 5 will automatically connect & work instantly, but my MacBook will connect to the network, but will have either no DNS servers, or ones I've entered for previous fixes of my home network.

How do I make my MBP auto detect DNS servers? I'm moving out of this student residence tomorrow so I'm not that concerned about losing these DNS settings, but no matter where I go to use the Internet, I need to go on my iPhone / friends computer to see which DNS settings the network assigned for them and manually enter them.

Any help? Seems relatively easy, I assume. I would prefer not to reset my MBP because of the amount of programs I have that I no longer possess the disks for (MS Office, Photoshop etc).

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 7:12 PM

Whenever you connect to a network, you should automatically receive the address of at least one DNS server from the Internet gateway. That will not happen if you've manually set DNS server addresses in the Network preference pane. Have you done that?

1 reply

MacBook Pro Won't Auto-Detect DNS Servers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.