Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do apps in the menu bar decrease battery life?

Hi there!

I really need to know if apps, which run in the background and are in the menu bar 'only' (esp. boom or SteadyTune [but others as well]), decrease my MacBooks battery life.
And if they do: how much do they decrease it?

I hope you can help me, because I'm a user only and have no plan about CPU's and stuff... 😝

Thank you!!!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), New generation (2013) 12h battery

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 12:15 PM

2 replies

Aug 12, 2013 12:17 PM in response to crumpon

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

All apps, even if they appear in the menu bar only, consume CPU and RAM, which contribute to reduce the battery life. An app will reduce the battery life more if it takes more CPU usage, and you can check this in Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities). Here you will check if the impact on the battery is more or less: less CPU usage, more battery life

Aug 12, 2013 12:22 PM in response to crumpon

crumpon wrote:

Hi there!

I really need to know if apps, which run in the background and are in the menu bar 'only' (esp. boom or SteadyTune [but others as well]), decrease my MacBooks battery life.
And if they do: how much do they decrease it?

I hope you can help me, because I'm a user only and have no plan about CPU's and stuff... 😝

Thank you!!!

Any and every running process, in background or foreground, causes the system to use power. You cannot run anything and NOT consume power. So yes, as long as your computer is turned on (even if sleeping) it is draining the battery at some rate.

How much does any single application contribute to the power drain is really pretty hard for anyone to determine for you.

Do apps in the menu bar decrease battery life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.