Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB error - Battery Life - Mid-2012 11inch MBA

The battery life on my mid 2012 (that I've had for almost a year), has dropped suddenly, and seems to correspond to the appearance of this alert message that appears after 20 seconds or so following every start up (whether plugged-in or on battery):

"Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.

To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again."

This message started appearing about a week or so ago, and has never appeared before. The battery life has gone from 4 to 5 hours, down to about 2 hours or less.

I have no external USB devices plugged in. Nothiing plugged in at all in fact, other than the power cord when it runs too low.

Could this be internal damage or a short of some kind? (or maybe something wrong with the iSight camera?)

I've added no new software during this period. The only thing I can think of that would represent change is that the MBA rode in saddlebags on a motorcycle on a road with some bumps on it, but nothing terribly out of the ordinary. In fact, I bought this machine so that I'd have SSD that was less vulnerable than a traditional HD.

I also don't know which usb devices might have been disabled, as the keyboard, pad, and isight camera all function.

Any and all insights very much appreciated!

Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x0249

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 2.19

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x1d182000 / 4

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 40

BRCM20702 Hub:

Product ID: 0x4500

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x1d181000 / 5

Current Required (mA): 94

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in):

Product ID: 0x8510

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 80.25

Serial Number: DJHC56Z5QQDWC7C0

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x1a110000 / 3

Current Required (mA): 500

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), mid 2012 - 11inch

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:02 AM

It is most likely a short, and will probably require the replacement of the offending USB port (which will either be on the Main Logic Board or the Left I/O board). If you have an Apple Store near you, I would book an appointment at the Genius Bar and have someone take a look at it.

*former Lead Genius for 8 years*

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2013 7:02 AM in response to jroth7

It is most likely a short, and will probably require the replacement of the offending USB port (which will either be on the Main Logic Board or the Left I/O board). If you have an Apple Store near you, I would book an appointment at the Genius Bar and have someone take a look at it.

*former Lead Genius for 8 years*

USB error - Battery Life - Mid-2012 11inch MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.