Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine exclusions problems

I have bought a hard drive to backup my mac. (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB). And I have successfully managed to format it Mac OS extended journaled. I have also managed to make a few backups of the computer. However this is where the problems start to appear.

For some reason a few folders are not being backed up, including "/Applications", "/usr" (which I use for homebrew), and in fact most of the folders in "/" generally. I have tried to find out why they are excluded, but they are not listed in the .plist files that I have checked.

Also, when typing: "tmutil isexcluded /Applications/"

The output is: "[Excluded] /Applications"

Then I type: "tmutil removeexclusion /Applications/"

And again: "tmutil isexcluded /Applications/"

And the output is still: "[Excluded] /Applications"

I just cannot seem to find a reason why this is happening. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 11:54 AM

12 replies

Jul 4, 2017 11:28 AM in response to ohope5

I tried with sudo, and got the same results. My time machine stopped working because it's excluding the whole Macintosh HD....

Mac-Book-Pro:Volumes necival$ sudo tmutil isexcluded /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

[Excluded] /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Mac-Book-Pro:Volumes necival$ sudo tmutil removeexclusion /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

Mac-Book-Pro:Volumes necival$ sudo tmutil isexcluded /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

[Excluded] /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Also, from the settings, the Macintosh HD is greyed out, and cannot be removed.

User uploaded file

Is there a solution besides re-installing the OS?

Jul 4, 2017 3:20 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the fast response, Eric.

Following A4 in the first link, I disabled Time Machine, then remove the plist:

Mac-Book-Pro:~ necival$ sudo rm -fv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Mac-Book-Pro:~ necival$ sudo cat /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

cat: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist: No such file or directory

But got the same results at the end... Zero Kb backup size, no disks to back up.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2013 1:17 PM in response to ohope5

This simple procedure will clear your Time Machine settings, including exclusions. The backups won't be affected. If you have a long exclusion list that can't be recreated easily, you may prefer a more complicated procedure that preserves the exclusion list. In that case, ask for instructions. Otherwise, do as follows.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window should open with a file selected. Copy the file to the Desktop. Then move it (the original, not the copy) to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot and recreate your settings in the Time Machine preference pane. It will show that you have no backups. Don't worry; that's expected. Run a backup to test. The backup may take much longer than usual. If TM now performs as expected, delete the file you copied to the Desktop.

Time Machine exclusions problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.