Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a backup?

What is the best way to backup one's harddrive on an external firewire harddrive? Using software, RetroExpress with an Acomdata external harddrive, should I duplicate, backup, or archive my internal harddrive? I just want to occasionally have a backup incase the internal goes south on me. I have read the documentation that came with the external but I cannot figure out which technique is the best one to use under different situations.
thanks
Paul

iMac G3 600 mhz, Mac OS X (10.3.9), 640 mb Ram

Posted on Jun 15, 2006 3:26 PM

2 replies

Jun 15, 2006 4:00 PM in response to Paul Hyland

I found Retrospect Express to be cumbersome and difficult to work with. Since you do have FW, and you are running 10.3.9 I wholeheartedly recommend SuperDuper. It is a fantastic disk cloning tool that will exactly duplicate your internal HD on your external FW drive - and make it bootable. The first clone will take a while, but with the registered version you can make incremental clones which only updates the clone to reflect changes since the last clone. It does my 320GB drive in about 15 minutes after I add a few GB of music to my iTunes library.

I find it invaluable especially when applying OS updates and make other major system changes - like when I upgraded my hard drive. I cloned my old 160GB drive, replaced it with the 320GB drive, then cloned back to the new internal, having my Mac exactly the way it was before, but not with a new larger HD.

There are also free cloning utilities, like Carbon Copy Cloner and LaCie's SilverKeeper, but I like SuperDuper better. It seems faster, and it was the only one of the three that worked with Tiger from day one. The other two needed updates that took weeks to come out. I know they are free, but I couldn't wait without backup software.

I get no kickback from the guys who make SuperDuper. I am just one of many delighted customers who use it everyday. It has never let me down.

Making a backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.