Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 flashing Apple logo won't turn on or be recognized by computer. Have tried reset and doesn't work.

Iphone went dead and I have it plugged into the computer now and the Apple logo comes up for a second and then goes away. Keeps on flashing. Computer doesn't recognize phone either. New battery and phone dock. Worked fine for about a week and a half and now it is flashing the logo and won't come on. Tried the soft reset a couple of times and still no luck. Any ideas?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 6:19 AM

HI there,

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps found in the article below.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

Will not turn on, will not turn on unless connected to power, or unexpected power off

1. Verify that the Sleep/Wake button functions. If it does not function, inspect it for signs of damage. If the button is damaged or is not functioning when pressed, seek service.
  2. Check if a Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) is activated or there are signs of corrosion. Learn about LCIsand corrosion.
  3. Connect the iPhone to the iPhone's USB power adapter and let it charge for at least ten minutes.
  4. After at least 15 minutes, if:
    • The home screen appears: The iPhone should be working. Update to the latest version of iOS if necessary. Continue charging it until it is completely charged and you see this battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen User uploaded file. Then unplug the phone from power. If it immediately turns off, seek service.
    • The low-battery image appears, even after the phone has charged for at least 20 minutes: See "iPhone displays the low-battery image and is unresponsive" symptom in this article.
    • Something other than the Home screen or Low Battery image appears, continue with this article for further troubleshooting steps.
  5. If the iPhone did not turn on, reset it while connected to the iPhone USB power adapter.
    • If the display turns on, go to step 4.
    • If the display remains black, go to next step.
  6. Connect the iPhone to a computer and open iTunes. If iTunes recognizes the iPhone and indicates that it is in recovery mode, attempt to restore the iPhone. If the iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes or if you have difficulties in restoring the iPhone, see this article for further assistance.
  7. If restoring the iPhone resolved the issue, go to step 4. If restoring the iPhone did not solve the issue, seek service.

Issue not resolved

My issue is still not resolved. What do I do next?

Contact Apple Support.

-Griff W.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2013 6:19 AM in response to slapdaddy

HI there,

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps found in the article below.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

Will not turn on, will not turn on unless connected to power, or unexpected power off

1. Verify that the Sleep/Wake button functions. If it does not function, inspect it for signs of damage. If the button is damaged or is not functioning when pressed, seek service.
  2. Check if a Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) is activated or there are signs of corrosion. Learn about LCIsand corrosion.
  3. Connect the iPhone to the iPhone's USB power adapter and let it charge for at least ten minutes.
  4. After at least 15 minutes, if:
    • The home screen appears: The iPhone should be working. Update to the latest version of iOS if necessary. Continue charging it until it is completely charged and you see this battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen User uploaded file. Then unplug the phone from power. If it immediately turns off, seek service.
    • The low-battery image appears, even after the phone has charged for at least 20 minutes: See "iPhone displays the low-battery image and is unresponsive" symptom in this article.
    • Something other than the Home screen or Low Battery image appears, continue with this article for further troubleshooting steps.
  5. If the iPhone did not turn on, reset it while connected to the iPhone USB power adapter.
    • If the display turns on, go to step 4.
    • If the display remains black, go to next step.
  6. Connect the iPhone to a computer and open iTunes. If iTunes recognizes the iPhone and indicates that it is in recovery mode, attempt to restore the iPhone. If the iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes or if you have difficulties in restoring the iPhone, see this article for further assistance.
  7. If restoring the iPhone resolved the issue, go to step 4. If restoring the iPhone did not solve the issue, seek service.

Issue not resolved

My issue is still not resolved. What do I do next?

Contact Apple Support.

-Griff W.

Feb 20, 2014 1:16 AM in response to slapdaddy

This happened to my wife's phone which has never been backed up. I didn't want to restore it because it would erase everything on the phone. So, I thought about what caused this issue in the first place, which was that it got nkocked while in her jacket pocket.

So, I plugged it in to the power source (not the computer), then dropped it a couple of times from about a foot high. Bam, it turns on. I quickly unplug it and plug it in my computer to back it up to iTunes. Initially the screen went black when I unplugged it from the power source then into the mac. After about 20 seconds it buzzed then I was prompted to back it up.

I know, random but it worked and now my wife's POS iphone works again and is backed up.

May 25, 2014 10:24 AM in response to PetroPete

you're a genius PetroPete!

i had the same problem and i've been searching the web for a solution

for 12 hours. my phone wouldnt charge and just gave me the slow flashing apple icon, and would'nt

respond to holding both buttons down for ten seconds etc.

the logo would only flash if it was plugged in otherwise nothing

i followed you're advice and plugged it in and dropped it from a foot high several times

Bingo , on it came ,

just like the fonz used to do in happy days !

Feb 3, 2016 7:46 AM in response to slapdaddy

Unbelievable! I dropped my phone and it started doing this same thing. Before I drove myself insane, I decided to check the threads to see if there was some kind of a fix for this and I came across this one. Dropped it from about a foot high three times and bingo. It came back on. Thanks for saving me a ton of money because the next stop would probably have been replacement.

Apr 20, 2016 5:42 PM in response to slapdaddy

Best thing to do is take it to a smart phone repair shop. I had this same problem, tried dropping it and yes this did help turn the phone on but of course it didn't fix the problem haha. Turns out it needed a new battery which is most likely the cause if you have this issue. Cost me $69AUD and now it works perfectly with no lost data.

iphone 4 flashing Apple logo won't turn on or be recognized by computer. Have tried reset and doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.