Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.1x Wireless Authentication with 10.8.4 Build 12E3067

Hello All,

Work in a school and we use 802.1x authentication for Wi-Fi and access to our server and Staff wireless VLAN. We use a login window profile that authenticates with our Active Directory.

Previous and working set up was MBA (Mid 2012) 5,1. Running OS 10.8.4 build 12E55. This OS was downloaded from Mac App Store. Bound to domain and using authorization certificates for our active directory controllers. Created Wi-Fi 802.1x authentication profile with Profile Manager on 10.8 server. No issue. Units authenticate with server at user login, join Wi-Fi and mounts home folder.

New and not working set up is MBA (Mid 2013) 6,2 running OS 10.8.4 build 12E3067. This unit will not run build 12E55, boots to prohibitory sign. Unit is set up with same certificates and 802.1x profile. When first booting up the Wi-Fi signal appears to be attached to the network, unlike previous setup when unit will Wi-Fi indicator will appear disconnected until user logs in. 90% of the time new units will not authenticate. States unable to connect to server and then loads into mobile user account. Will not attached to Wi-Fi. There are instances when it does authenticate properly. However logging out and then back in will cause the failure.

Also note, I have made an image of the 6,2 MBA with build 12E3067 and installed in on MBA 5,1. Same Failure happens. This leads me to believe the issue lies in OS 10.8.4 build 12E3067.

Troubleshooting:

-I have taken OS build 12E3067 on MBA 6,2 (failing to authenticate) and removed Wi-Fi profile. Unit authenticates over Ethernet with no issue. Add profile back and issue surfaces.

-Created new profile using profile manager and issue continues. Verified proper certificates are being used. Would the previous profile

-Restarted domain controllers. Issue continues.

Any thoughts or questions would be appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:23 PM

4 replies

Aug 12, 2013 9:19 PM in response to Jeremy.S.

Time for some debugging logs! Try comparing the debug logs from your known-good setup and the one that isn't working. The answer, or at least a hint, will be in there somewhere.

To enable debug logging use the Wireless Diagnostic tool by option-clicking on the wifi symbol in the status bar and selecting "Open Wireless Diagnostics..." at the bottom.

From within the tool select the Window Menu -> Utilities. In the window that opens select "Logging" and enable EAPOL. Then click "Collect Logs". That final window will look like this:

User uploaded file

Gil

Sep 11, 2013 5:24 PM in response to Jeremy.S.

did you find any resolution to this? our mba- mid 2013 deployment is having a very similar problem. We've gone through loads of troubleshooting and have yet to come to a resolution. all our mid 2012 mba's are working fine they're 10.7.5/10.8.4 mixed. console logs don't show much, i'll try the wireless diags tomorrow. our other 10.8.4 build appears fine on other models of machines. i've read posts about deleteing the adapters, deleting the system config plists and changing the mtu size, these steps do not work for us.

we don't have as high a failure rate with our deployment, but 25%-30% of our clients randomly drop connectivity and are unable to reconnect (fluttering wi-fi wave). when you slect the wifi symbol in the menu bar other wireless networks do not show, the 'looking for networks' fly wheel continues to spin. ocasionaly on login the yellow jelly bean will appear then disappear before finally timeing out without logging the user in (depsite having mobile accounts enabled). mostly the problem manifests itself when waking from sleep - the wifi symbol flutters endlessly without connecting. deleting the 8021x profile and readding it will reenable connectivity. we've tried new profiels, but to the same end. i know our certs and systems are fine because previous mac os x builds work fine as do our windows clients.

any input would be much appreciated.

Sep 12, 2013 5:27 PM in response to Jeremy.S.

I have not found a true fix yet. The workaround I was forced to use was to not do login authentication. I installed the needed netowrk certiicates, logged in and created mobile accounts over ethernet. Then joined wireless with the correct user credentials for each computer. This worked as all my machines are for individaul users. Once they they have a mobile account and are joined to our secure wireless it was fine. Our file server and users home home folder to not auto mount, but it has not been much of an issue so far.

10.8.5 just came out today but I have not tested yet. I am also having the issue on new MBPs and iMacs.

802.1x Wireless Authentication with 10.8.4 Build 12E3067

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.