Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent / stop itunes 11 automatically updating

I dont know how i ended up with itunes 11 but i cant stand it - mainly because it slows my whole computer down so much i cant have it open in the background. Its a windows 7 machine with 4gb ram. Everything works fine inc CAD and video editing, but itunes is just way too slow.

I have reverted to itunes 10.7 several times, but itunes always automatically updates itself to version 11. It doesnt ask me - it just happens magically. One day i am happily using itunes 10.7. The next day i open itunes and it will be version 11 and go through all the new version stuff.I have tried the following things:

- Yes i have unchecked the box in preferences that says: "automatically check for updates"

- when i have uninstalled i have also removed every other piece of Apple software including Apple Software Updater

- i have rolled back to to itunes 10.7 and then uninstalled the software updater which must be part of the whole package

- i have tried to edit the registry - to disable automatically checking for updates but have not had success.

How do i stop itunes from updating automatically?

itunes 11-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:02 PM

10 replies

Aug 13, 2013 4:31 AM in response to Craigoo

Is this machine at work or at home?

Do you have any other automatic software updating tools that might be controlling the update? The Apple Software Update tool is interactive.

Are there any other profiles on the computer that other people use? If they upgrade iTunes they upgrade the whole machine to the latest version, not just their profile.

tt2

Aug 20, 2013 6:23 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi thanks,

thanks for the reply with the questions. The machine is at work, i checked windows update manager to see if itunes was listed but couldnt see it. There arent any other profiles on this computer.

In the meantime i have removed itunes11 again and all apple components. I have just reinstalled 10.7. Prior to opening it i deleted Apple Updater (maybe this was not a good idea). Im going to import my old library and see how i go.

When i installed i noticed the dialogue box with the 3 options, 1 of which is "automatically update itunes and other apple software". Of course i unchecked this box as im certain i have done every other time. But i do wonder what it does to the machine leaving this box checked. Its possible i had this box checked one time in the past, but i cant be certain.

Ill let you know what happens.

Craig

Sep 7, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Craigoo

So heres the latest:

During the week my computer again magically updated itself to itunes 11. I have no idea how. I open itunes and it starts the "new itunes" stuff. I see no update dialogue whatsoever. Its about 2 weeks since i rolled back to 10.7

I generally work with remote rural communities - i can get internet through my cell phone but only enough bandwidth to send/receive emails. Its virtually impossible to load web pages which leaves me wondering how itunes 11 manages to get itself onto my computer in the first place.

I can only suppose when i am in the city every week or 2 it has downloaded itself and then decides to install itself at an opportune time.

Im happy to buy music through itunes but the program itself is such a resource hog that i cant use it while running CAD programs or other work software. Added to that i cant stop it from doing whatever it likes to my computer - its starting to look more like malware than a useful program to me.

Anyone have this strange problem? The options i can see are: dump itunes for winamp or other; reinstall windows which im not inclined to do.

Ideas?

Regards,

Craig

Sep 7, 2013 2:11 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the suggestion.

I used itunes for a couple of hours today and thought maybe i could get used to it. But of course my machine jammed up. I tried to close itunes but couldnt, so i FC'd itunes in the task manager. It wouldnt close and my machine was jammed so i had to kill it and restart. So no i cant really use itunes 11 on my machine. Not really sure why, it should have the hp, maybe its a software conflict or poor internet connection.

Im using VIPRE internet security 2013. I really dont have any idea how to see how this might be affecting things, or what settings to change. Ive had a look around in VIPRE but i cant see any settings like that.

I have however discovered that maybe VIPRE is allowing itunes to update itself - it has its own third-party software update settings and it was set to "allow automatic updates". This could be causing the issue, so i have changed the setting and now i will remove itunes 11 and install 10.7 again.

Will have to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens. Thanks again.

Craig

Oct 23, 2013 6:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2

its been about 6 weeks and im still on 10.7 Great!

It seems it was the setting in Vipre that was overiding the Apple update settings and allowing itunes to automatically update.

Many thanks for your help - genius. I searched high and low and found no other reference to a problem like this on all the forums.

Craig

Prevent / stop itunes 11 automatically updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.