Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is customer support so bad?

I used to be a firm believer in Apple, mainly their customer support. This all changed recently, and I am really starting to get angered with Apple. First, this past July, I needed a computer for my office, as I recently got promoted at work, and was instructed to get a new computer of my choosing. Being that I had bought an iMac in 2010 and was very pleased with it, I opted to go to the Apple Store (online) and buy a refurbished iMac for $1700. Being that I spent so much money on it, I expected it to work just as well as my old, trusty, 2010 iMac...boy was I wrong. When I took off all the packaging, I hooked the computer up to find a monitor that would not go out of a very big resolution (don't know the numbers exactly, but it was like 800x600). Also, there were screen tears and I got a 30-second fuzz screen when I first turned the thing on. Making nothing of it, I figured a quick call to Apple support would solve the problem. Their solution? I'm going to put it in bold because of how ridiculous it was (I am not making this up):

SPEND ANOTHER $1700 ON THE SAME COMPUTER AND WAIT FOR IT TO BE SHIPPED. THEN I COULD SEND MY OLD ONE BACK AND THEY WOULD REFUND THE MONEY FOR THE FIRST ONE UPON RECIEVING IT.

That's right. Apple wanted me to invest a total of $3400 dollars into two computers when one didn't even f****** work. They told me that this was my ONLY option because it was refurbished. I couldn't take it to an Apple store where they would attempt to repair it, they couldn't send me another iMac (they told me that they DID have the same model in stock, refurbished) and have me send mine back, and I couldn't send it back to them for repairs. My ONLY option was to spend another $1700 on a piece of crap that may or may not work and kind of hope that it does! Thanks for that, Apple.

This was the first straw. Now, for my second problem. I have an iPhone 5, with AppleCare, and the screen recently broke. So, I called and we got it taken care of, but part of the deal is that you have to put up the $799 for the new phone until your old phone gets back to them. I didn't have a problem with this until yesterday. First off, my new phone got here on Friday, mid afternoon, and I was out of town so my parents signed for me. Then, I get an e-mail yesterday, THREATENING TO CHARGE ME WITH THE $799 FOR THE OLD PHONE IF I DIDN'T HAVE IT BACK IN THEIR HANDS IN FOUR DAYS. First of all, the original E-mail I got said that I had until the 21st to get it to them. Today is the 12th. On top of that, Apple threatened me and told me I had four days to return the phone when one of those days WAS A SUNDAY. WHAT MAIL SERVICE DELIVERS ON SUNDAY?

Apple, I am highly dissappointed in your customer service and your terms. I used to be a huge fan and rave to everyone around me about how you were the best, especially when it came to customer service. Now, with the cons and the threats, I am beginning to seriously dislike you. And, another question...my phone is nowhere near in working condition - with all of this talk of the NSA and Apple being related, WHY IS IT SO IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE MY OLD DEVICE BACK? Don't ever threaten me again, Apple. The worst part is, amidst all of this shoddy customer support, I wasn't offered anything as simple as an apology. Sorry for the anger Apple, but I am very dissappointed in you.

iPhone 5

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 6:27 PM

First of all, I think you are mistaken - I DID address Apple, very directly, in fact. Second off, as paying customers, these people have a right to know the schemes that Apple uses to get people to spend more money. And third, if I spend $399 on the original phone, it is mine to keep is it not? Also, if I spend $100 on AppleCare, and then $50 to replace the phone (which is the point of the AppleCare plan) THAT phone is mine to keep as well. So, why should I send back a phone I ALREADY paid for? And why did I pay for AppleCare if you guys are going to threaten me with a $799 charge if you don't recieve the phone (which I ALREADY PAID FOR) back within four days (one of which is a Sunday)?

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2013 6:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

First of all, I think you are mistaken - I DID address Apple, very directly, in fact. Second off, as paying customers, these people have a right to know the schemes that Apple uses to get people to spend more money. And third, if I spend $399 on the original phone, it is mine to keep is it not? Also, if I spend $100 on AppleCare, and then $50 to replace the phone (which is the point of the AppleCare plan) THAT phone is mine to keep as well. So, why should I send back a phone I ALREADY paid for? And why did I pay for AppleCare if you guys are going to threaten me with a $799 charge if you don't recieve the phone (which I ALREADY PAID FOR) back within four days (one of which is a Sunday)?

Aug 12, 2013 6:30 PM in response to chendersonvocmed

Name a company that has sent out a free $1700 computer upon request to anyone that calls them and asks for it, without requiring some form of deposit or credit card hold.

You got asked for a credit card HOLD, which would only be charged if you did not return the original device.

As far as the email, I doubt it was 'threatening'. It was 'cautionary', at best. And if it was sent in error, mistakes happen. This is the real world.

Now, about the NSA and Apple being in cahoots?

Excuse me for a moment...

LOL!!!

*ahem*

Thanks for that laugh, that's a good one.

Got any 'proof' of that claim, or are you just paranoid?

Aug 12, 2013 6:14 PM in response to chendersonvocmed

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. You're not addressing Apple here. If you have a technical support question, we'd be glad to help. If you have an issue with Apple, you'll need to contact them using the contact information found at the Contact Us link at the bottom right of every page. The email you received may also have contact information.

Warranty replacements that are shipped to you usually require that you send the old device back in some relatively short period of time. I know that for Verizon, it's 5 days.

Dec 5, 2017 10:57 AM in response to chendersonvocmed

Recently ordered a WiFi booster. By mistake I requested it be available at home store. Unfortunately the home store linked to my phone was not the closest (2 hours away). After reallizing the mistake I immediately called customer service to have the order transferred to the store nearby.

They said they could not do this because it was already delivered from the warehouse to the store. Now we know there is no “warehouse” and it’s most likely a back room where inventory is maintained for customer availability. It hard to believe they could not simply change the location of the order. Ended up canceling the order, waiting for the credit to be placed back on the car and the $150 ecoupon we got for purchasing a new computer. For a tech company their customer service stinks.

Aug 12, 2013 6:32 PM in response to chendersonvocmed

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you actually PAID for a second phone, of course you'd keep it. But you aren't PAYING for a second phone. You are putting down a hold on a card.

You are not paying for two devices, unless you don't return the original one. You don't get to buy one, keep two.

Do the math again. You are paying out of pocket after all is said and done for ONE PHONE. But while you have TWO PHONES, Apple is requiring a hold on a credit card.

This is simple logic.

Aug 12, 2013 6:49 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

What do you not understand.

I purchased the first phone for $399. THAT IS MINE. I PURCHASED IT.

I purchased AppleCare, which is a contract that SENDS YOU A NEW PHONE. YOU PAY $100 FOR THE SERVICE, AND $50 FOR THE REPLACEMENT PHONE.

I broke my old phone, the one I PURCHASED. Therefore, with the insurance contract that I also PURCHASED, I am granted a new phone for $50. I paid them $50. Therefore I have PAID for TWO phones.

Did I pay $799 (retail price) for two phones? NO. I purchased AppleCare SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF IT.

Please don't comment if you don't understand sales and contracts. It's simple logic.

Aug 12, 2013 6:54 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Free computer? Where are you getting that from? I paid $1700 for a computer that doesn't even work, so I'll one up you. Name a company that makes you pay almost 2k for a computer that doesn't work: APPLE.

Buy one and keep two? You must be incapable of reading, as I said that I would send the old one back...

As far as Apple and the NSA, clearly you don't read the news.

Please, go back to facebooking with your friends, grown ups are trying to have a conversation.

Aug 12, 2013 6:56 PM in response to chendersonvocmed

Also, you say that your replacement phone arrived on Friday, the 9th. That means it was probably shipped on the 7th or 8th. You get 10 business days from when Apple sends the replacement to return the original phone. That corresponds with the 21st you mentioned.

Plus, you're the one that chose the express shipment. You could have avoided ANY hold on your card with the drop-off option. You are the one that preferred to get a replacement phone ASAP. And, you could have visited an Apple Store for an in-store, free replacement.

Minus the $49 for breaking your phone, of course. So, out of pocket, you've paid $148 to replace a $799 device. And you still have one more incident of damage under your AppleCare Plus. So, if you break your phone AGAIN, then you only are out of pocket $197 to replace $1598 dollars worth equipment.

Explain to me how saving $650 - 1400, when you're the one that broke your device, is 'unfair'.

Aug 12, 2013 7:02 PM in response to chendersonvocmed

Your AppleCare repalcement program SPECIFICALLY STATES that you must surrender the original phone. If you didn't read the fine print, don't whine about it.

Does your insurance company allow you to keep your old car if they total it out and replace it? No. They claim the vehicle.

Replace means you swap it out. If McDonald's replaces your Big Mac because you asked for no onions, you don't keep the first one.

Lookof the definition of the word 'replace'.

1. Take the place of.
  2. Provide or find a substitute for (something that is broken, old, or inoperative).

Synonyms

substitute - supersede - change - displace

You don't get the original and the substitute. You get to REPLACE the damaged device with a replacement device, for a discounted fee.

Grow up. Use some common sense, and stop trying to 'work' the system.

why is customer support so bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.