Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having problems with a large email retrieval on 10.8.4

If I receive a large email (8MB or so and larger), my Mini 10.8.4 hangs at "Preparing to recieve mail" and will not download any mail from that server from then on.

I can access the same mail mail with my MPB 10.7.5 and it has no problem with it. If I then have the MBP remove the large email from the server, then the Mini can resume getting email.

Is there a reason that 10.8.4 would choke on a large email that 10.7.5 handles fine?

The mail server is a POP server.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 7:30 PM

Please follow these directions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Log out and log back in. Launch Mail and test. If the problem is resolved, you may have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2013 7:30 PM in response to jbunderson

Please follow these directions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Log out and log back in. Launch Mail and test. If the problem is resolved, you may have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Aug 14, 2013 5:14 PM in response to jbunderson

Check that the account settings are the same on both clients. If they are, do as follows.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Aug 28, 2013 11:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

Step 1. I'm running FileVault, so the Guest account was not available. I created a guest account and it had the same problem. It actually choked on a 2MB file.

Step 2. Was able to boot into safe mode with wired peripherals disconnected and the problem went away.

Tried rebooting normally with peripherals disconnected and the problem is back.

I think I located the reason. I'm runnign Avast anti-virus 7.0. When I turn off Avast email shield, the file will now download.

Not sure why this would be. Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on the Avast forums.

I am having problems with a large email retrieval on 10.8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.