Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using account aliases for mail hosted on 10.8 Server

I'm in the middle of researching how best to migrate from an old server running 10.5 server to a new one running 10.8 server. This particular server is used for DNS and Mail. I don't have any issues with the DNS, but playing around with mail on 10.8 server has given me a few headaches.

What I need to be able to do is have about 15 virtual domains, which I have managed without a problem, and also have email forwarding from a single email address to multiple accounts, which I have also managed without a problem. The last thing I need is to be able to have mail clients login using the email address as the username, to avoid having to arrange for 120-odd users to get their mail client settings changed.

So, I've gone into the advanced options for the user account, and set the alias for the account to be the email address, which I thought should have done what I need. However, when I check mail I get an authentication error. I know the password for the account is correct, and I can log in if I use the normal short username, but logging in with the alias just doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this working?

OS X Server, 10.8 Server

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:28 AM

If I understand correctly, you don't log in with the alias address you've established, you log in with the credentials for the "base account" that the mail alias deposits the incoming mail into....

2 replies

Aug 13, 2013 4:06 PM in response to MrHoffman

Well, after some more playing around with my test server, I've managed to clear a few things up. As it turns out, you can log into the mail account using an alias specified in the advanced options for a user. What you can't do is use an alias with the @ symbol in it.

I've just played around setting up a couple of different aliases for one of my test accounts, and I can log in and check mail using an alias, at least until I try using the email address as an alias. This worked quite happily under 10.5, but not any more, apparently. Oh well, what can you do, hey?

Using account aliases for mail hosted on 10.8 Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.