Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to filter on check fields in the Mac and in iPad

I want to filter out a worksheet on some check fields in the Mac Numbers, and have that filter active in my iPad.

User uploaded file

In the Mac Numbers I can apply the filer using the formula: the check field is 1, for the checked fields (and is 0 for the unchecked fields).

But when I open the spreadsheet in my iPad, applying the filter gives no records: as if the iPad version of Numbers would not have the same values for the checked or unchecked fields (1 / 0).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 1:55 AM

4 replies

Aug 13, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thank you for your note, but it doesn't answer my question.

I already applied feature in the spreadsheet in the Mac.

The filter applies according to the data of two columns of the check format (as in the image I put, or in the columns C and D in your image).

I have discovered that the value of a checked cell is 1 and that of the unchecked cell is 0. So I can filter on them using the formula "is 1" [= check] or "Is 0" [= unchecked].

All this works perfectly in Numbers for the Mac, but when I open the spreadsheet in the iPad (through iCloud), the filter shows no records. I deduce that in the iPad the check and uncheck cells have different values (not 1 and 0).

Thanks

Aug 13, 2013 8:25 AM in response to GMiranda

GMiranda,

You are posting in the forum dedicated to Number for Mac OS X. Some have Number for iOS but many do not (including me). If you notice in the filter I made I tested against "TRUE" (or "FALSE") try using these instead of "1" (or "0").

You can perform a simple test to determine the return value of a checkbox by add a formula in another cell that references a cell with a checkbix like:

User uploaded file

In cell E1 I entered "=C1" written shorthand:

E1=C1

User uploaded file

as you can see on Number in Mac OS X this result in "TRUE" when the checkbox is checked and "FALSE" when the checkbox is NOT checked

Aug 13, 2013 8:39 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Hello Wayne,

Sorry, I thought the forum was dedicated to all versions of Numbers.

I had not seen the values "TRUE" and "FALSE" in your post. Actually, I had already tried thouse values, without results in Mac.

Now I have seen the reason: my Numbers version is in Italian! So it works with "VERO" and "FALSO" (I put this here because can help persons who have the app in different languages).

Now with "VERO" and "FALSO", the filter works perfectly also in my iPad.

Thank you very very much!

How to filter on check fields in the Mac and in iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.