Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a macbook air 2,1, can i upgrade this to lion

I have a macbookair 2,1 and I'd like to know if i can upgrade this to lion or not?

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 5:14 AM

1 reply

Aug 13, 2013 10:53 AM in response to david1974

Lion or Mountain Lion?

You should be able to. This is for Mountain Lion. Lion link below.

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) model number 2,1 or higher
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Xserve (Early 2009) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Application Compatibility

You can also check by going to the  menu, select About this Mac, click on More info…, then click System Report and select Software/Applications.

If you have applications that you want to use that arent compatible, you can retain Snow Leopard and create a new partition to install Mountain Lion on or you can run Snow Leopard server in a virtual mode.

If your computer isn't compatible, you might be able to upgrade to Lion.

Computer Compatibility - Lion

If you can/do upgrade, I recommend you make a copy of the installer and move it out of your Applications folder. The installer self-destructs. The copy will keep you from having to download the installer again. You can make a bootable DVD/USB stick to install using this free program.

Bootable Drive DVD or USB Flash Drive – Lion Diskmaker

From Kappy

Install Mountain Lion Successfully from 10.6.8

i have a macbook air 2,1, can i upgrade this to lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.