Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 making text alert sound and vibrating but no message

My iPhone 5 has recently started making the message tone and vibrating but when I look at the phone there is no message or notification. Any ideas on what it is?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:38 AM

4 replies

Aug 15, 2013 9:51 AM in response to gpryor26

Hey gpryor26,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like there may be a rogue application that is sending notifications. It is possible that this application is configured for sound notifications, but not app badge or show on lock screen.

You can isolate the issue further by opening Notification Center after the alert goes off, and searching to see if there is a notification:

iOS: Understanding Notifications

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576

If the above does not resolve your issue, you may need to isolate further by turning notification off for different apps in Settings > Notifications. It may also be a good idea to turn on Badges and Banners for all apps too.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Oct 15, 2014 9:00 AM in response to gpryor26

I had the exact same issue on my iPhone 5 and the 6. I went to notifications and turned off the sound for ones included in the notification center and then, this is where I found the problem, went to the ones under "Do Not Include" and went through every apps settings and found that some were still set to notify with sounds so I turned those off and made sure the "allow notifications" were turned off and I haven't had any sounds since, and that was 2 weeks ago I did that. Hope this helps.

iPhone 5 making text alert sound and vibrating but no message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.