Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp windows vista

does anyone know if windows vista will run off of boot camp?

15 inch macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 2 gig ram

Posted on Jun 15, 2006 6:36 PM

14 replies

Jun 16, 2006 12:34 PM in response to omega22v7

I think thats not correct. HP is selling there notebook with intel core duo and the say are VISTA CAPABLE .

This is what they say

"What's a Windows Vista Capable PC?

The next generation Microsoft operating system—Microsoft Windows Vista—is coming soon. What will Windows Vista mean for you? It will offer new levels of ease, security and reliability, a new interface, and simple ways to organize and search for information on your PC.

We've worked with Microsoft to help ensure that the PC you buy today can run Windows Vista when it's available. All of our new notebook and desktop PCs will be able to run Windows Vista* when properly configured.

Windows Vista will be available in versions ranging from Windows Vista Home Basic for entry-level home users to Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Business, for those needing more robust features and functionality*.

*Not all Windows Vista features are available for use on all Windows Vista Capable PCs. All Windows Vista Capable PCs will run the core experiences of Windows Vista, such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability. Some features available in premium editions of Windows Vista—like the new Windows Aero user interface—require advanced or additional hardware. Check www.windowsvista.com/getready for details. "

Jun 20, 2006 5:18 PM in response to MacArg

slightly off-topic but, Vista was orginially planned on using EFI (like Mac OS X) instead of the 20 year-old BIOS to boot. This means that if both Vista and Mac OS X runs EFI, you don't need BootCamp, Mac can detect and run the Vista installation.

Unfortunately (or as far as I know), Microsoft decided not to use EFI after all since this would require a physical change in the motherboard (the BIOS chip on every PC motherboard). So still expect to see slow boot times and ugly graphics when you boot Vista in the future >.<

Jun 21, 2006 11:38 AM in response to MacArg

There is no way that Microsoft will drop all support for 32 bit systems. The majority of consumer computer users don't even know what 64 bit is. Also, most wont upgrade their systems until they absolutly have to. If Microsoft's new operating system didn't even run on 32 bit computers, they would lose thousands or millions of customers until all computers were 64 bit in a few years.

Oct 27, 2006 10:03 AM in response to Trent Geerdes

ciao,

i'm completely new in apple products, and i'm considering to buy a mac book pro with core 2 duo. is it possible to buy it with native windows OS, and better also with the coupon to upgrade then to vista?
anyway is it possible to use the mac book as a normal pc compatible? like a dell i mean, only with windows installed?

let me know ciao

AMD FX-60 Windows XP Pro

boot camp windows vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.