Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reducing project file size

I've got a project that I'm working on. It's 7 tracks of audio and just under 4 minutes long. But the project file size is over 2 gigs! I ran the "Clean Up" option from the project management option under file. That only took it from 2.3 gigs to 2.1.

Why is it so large and what can I do to reduce the project file size? 2.1 gigs seems way too large for what it is.

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 8:35 AM

2 replies

Feb 16, 2015 9:37 AM in response to bdjansen

I have the same question. I have a project that I recorded 8 audio tracks to, about 1 minute of live drums. I have since deleted the audio files, and the project is 800mb. No audio files. I opened the Project Audio window and deleted the files there. I have no "alternative" take. I've deleted the Undo history.

I'm just trying to find out where these mysterious audio files are. Note that the project initially had 16 tracks without audio when I created the project. I saved the project and it was 3mb. I recorded the audio, saved it and closed Logic. The project in question was about 800mb. Then I deleted the audio and the project is still 800mb. I'm obviously missing something here, does anyone have a clue for me? Thanks!

Feb 27, 2015 10:24 AM in response to dsmedic10

Don't know if you found a solution but I did. Here's what you do:

im my case I save a lot. Like, I save after every operation. This causes Logic to keep lots of saved audio files in the project that I've overwritten a dozen times already. I might perform 20 takes of a passage in a song I have. Logic will keep all 20 takes even though I've deleted the audio file in the editor window. This causes my 3 min song to bloat out to 2-3GB in size.

When I'm reasonably sure I like the condition of my song and it's structure I will then do the following:

Save a new version of the project. Then open "window - project audio". This opens the project audio window. In this window I select "edit - select unused audio". This highlights all the audio files that have been deleted/overwritten by myself during my recording and editing. I then hit the Delete key. I believe Logic then confirms the delete command and deletes the unused audio. I close the window and save a new copy of the project. Now my file size is a sane number (450mb for example) rather than the 2.5GB it was before. Of course doing this I've eliminated the ability to "undo" any audio editing/deleting but I've already confirmed that fact.

Hope this helps you out. It helped reduce a 6 min project that was 5.7GB back to a sane number of 890mb. I guess you can say I do a lot of, umm, takes

Reducing project file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.