Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro w/ 10.7.5 won't boot

I shut down the Mac last night and all was well. This morning I started it up and first got a weird DOS looking screen that instructed me to restart. I did and got a folder with the flashing ?. I restarted with Option and am running disk utility. Lots of errors. Things seem to go well until the end of Disk Repair when there is a list of about 5 missing directory records and it says it's searching for them in "lost and found." It searches for 10+ minutes then I get the colored wheel. This is my third try and no luck.

I am trying to repair my hard drive but notice a Mac OSX Base System icon in Disk Utility. What is that and should I use it instead?

Sadly, no Time Machine back-up and when I tried recovering Lion it asks for a sign-on and password for the App Store that I don't have. It says I should create one, but there's no icon to do it.

I'm stuck! Help!

Linda

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 11:46 AM

No, don't go to the App Store. See this FAQon data recovery.

8 replies

Aug 13, 2013 12:05 PM in response to a brody

APPLE TECHs, can you help?!

I have been working on this computer since 7AM EDT! I finally let Disk Utility run to the end (took about 2 hours) and it said the disk was fixed and to restart. So far I'm 40+ minutes into the restart.

The computer has been acting crazy ever since the new update. It takes forever to put it to sleep or to start up, but I don't mean 30+ minutes, I mean about 1-2. I believe there's a bug in the 10.7.5 for MacBook Pro's. I don't have the same problem with my Mini Mac.

A brody, I'm letting the re-start run unplugged to power down the system. Once it's powered down, then what?

Thanks for your help. Will report back if the computer EVER re-boots.

MacBook Pro w/ 10.7.5 won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.