Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to export Movie to Quicktime Movie w/ similar file size and quality.

Let me preface in that I am not in the video editing profession. Many times I have exported my work to the professionals. I'm sure knowing what you're doing is half of the battle. Here is my dilemma. First, I'm using Quicktime pro just to add a text track to the movie. I then save the file as what Quicktime pro calls Movie .mov. This looks good and has the quality of the original .mov and the small data size. However, no other player than quicktime will recognize the text track. I then tried exporting from Movie to quicktime movie format (still .mov, can anyone explain the difference of the two .mov types???), but I find that the image quality is poor. Yet, in the quicktime format other players (except windows media player) recognize the text track. By poor quality I mean that I think what I have is the blocking effect. I assume that this is due to the bitrate being to low. Again, I would like to keep the file size low and managable for data storage and downloading purposes. I was hoping that in the end all video players would be able to have no issues.

My current file sized are all less than 1MB and are of good quality.

Just adding a small test track the Movie .mov is still less than 1MB

The size of the image is 512x512

I should also say that I'm a PC user with a quicktime pro windows version. I'm sure that doesn't help me one bit!! However, I believe my issues are more with the fact that I'm not experienced in compressing files and knowing exactly the right settings.

Here is what I've tried thus far. Movie to quicktime movie

• H264 codec
  • Current for fps (Which is in the original is 8fps)
  • Key frames automatic
  • frame reordering checked
  • I've tried Automatic data rate and setting the bit rate, even at 2000kbps (the quality is low). My original movie with the highest kbps is only 1151kbps and has no artifacts
  • encoding Best quality multi-pass
  • custom size 512x512
  • deinterlace checked

Quicktime Pro-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 10:28 AM

There are no replies.

Need to export Movie to Quicktime Movie w/ similar file size and quality.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.